Rear diff bolts

Monkeyfeet

Rear diff bolts in picture, 3 to 4 threads out. (Disco 300Tdi, 1995)

By the condition of the bolts on the joint its had some work done, and I'm guessing the bolts with the threads showing clamp in the bearing assembly?

Not sure how they could have been left loose, they're pretty obvious. I'll nip 'em up, but I'm not missing something here am I?

Cheers.

015.jpg

nothing fits on those bolts, the diff case is the same as the front diff where that diff when on a 90 or 110 has a steering track rod guard attached at the same bolts, as the rear diff has no steering parts, the bolts & holes are redundant, so you can either remove the bolts or tighten them up just to keep the threads in good order. 

rear diff case http://www.albrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=804891&SPRACHE=EN

front diff case with guard  [90/110] items 18,19,20.http://www.albrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=755413&SPRACHE=EN       

Discovery [no guard]     http://www.albrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=804888&SPRACHE=EN

• Like 1

No, they are only used for vibration dampers on the front diffs of RRCs or for the small steering protector on some Defenders.  Plenty of aftermarket diff and steering guards use them, but they're normally left empty and have no connection with internal machining or parts.

Is that not the bolt holes that the track rod bracket goes on to on a front diff? The diff is the same component so presumably they are redundant and somebody just put a couple of bolts in to blank the holes. I assume they are blind holes and the bolts have bottomed out.

Yup redundant, probably a second hand front diff fitted to the rear axle, and the bolts left in.

Either that or a QT-style guard has been removed and the bolts put back in after.

Doubt you'll be able to nip them up, as above, probably bottomed out.

• Like 1

Just to say thanks very much for the brilliant response! Makes complete sense.

And, sorry, when I said am I missing something I hadn't actually thought about anything physical (like a guard) I meant not understanding something - and you've all answered me perfectly.

Here's to my next newbie question. (I'm sure I'll think of something)

Cheers again.

It was a fair question, and much better to ask than risk damaging a bearing or other internal part that could conceivably have been affected by those bolts!  And yes, I did catch the context you intended over "missing something"! Good pun, even if unintentional ! :)