1988 Paris Dakar Range Rovers

uninformed

I used to religiously read about these things in my younger years, and my recollection is that its basis is still a range rover frame with rover v8 engine. The body was made up out of kevlar I think and apart from being lighter, the aero was improved by sloping the windscreen backwards and the whole body was reduced to 90 per cent its size for a smaller frontal area.

208_03a_1988.jpg

judging from the pic, the crew was moved backwards and perhaps the engine as well, or the front axle moved forward?

Great looking machines.

Daan

I read somewhere "tubeular space frame" or the such. I wonder if that ment a whole new tube chassis or just tube/cage work added to a modified RR chassis?

I have also recently seen a picture with the rear body removed. One big piece that unclips. Im pretty sure I could see a coil over shock mounted quite vertically. Definietly the rear stays of a cage/roll bar. 

A Range Rover came 4th overall and the first car/truck to finish in the first Paris Dakar in 1979. It was privately entered, standard 2 door with just an extra fuel tank, extra pair of shocks on the front, three seats and a winch.

In 1981 a factory supported Range Rover prepped by Halt-up in rainbow VSD colours won the event overall.

cheers, Steve

• Like 2

google translator is your friend!

The ultimate Halt'up ... Le Camel

At Halt'up, we start by stinging the official sponsor of the Peugeot! In fact, already partner of Land Rover on the famous Camel Trophy, the cigaretier does not find his account with Peugeot (freedom of reduced expression) and wanted to change partner. Good news, since if the budgets of previous years were around 4 million francs, at Halt'up, we spend the 5th foot on the floor with people under the hood, or 17 million francs. A new Range for the Dakar 88 in a few months? At Halt'up it's possible, classic! Today, the Range Camel Racing passes in a few months from the drawing board to 4 magnificent protos. The ultimate Halt'up wants to be lighter (body of 27 Kg in Kevlar), its V8 engine (4.0 and 4.2,2 always prepared at JE) is retreated of 270 mm and develops 300 Ch. It allowed the Range of Tighten the 215 Km / h. Power was transmitted via a 5-speed X-Trac (from the F1). The suspensions followed with 8 new handsets developed by Marzocchi. In other words, the pressure rises before the Dakar, the Halt'up appearing as official rivals of the Peugeot.

Pascal Vigneron thinks then ... To this mad band of madmen, who composed Halt'up, without whom nothing would have been possible ... Strong personalities, talents, artists in their kind. We must thank the team; Benoît Riverin, Jean-Jacques Pisson, "Pierrot" Rigenbach, Gilles Groussard, Laurent Lebourgeois (and his Normans from the 2CV Cross), Gérard Lorand ... Without forgetting outside collaborators such as Jean-Marc Crespin (CJM). A perfect example of the passionate, he became a "private" pilot on Halt'up ... We were ten permanent at Ulis, on the Dakar 88 Team Halt'up represented 50 people ... The voice full of emotion, Pascal continues on this Which was a great revenge on the previous edition.
It was indeed a vigil of weapon in the place of arms of the castle of Versailles in this January 1st 88 for the 603 engaged. The 4 Range Halt'up run by Zaniroli, Tambay, Canelias and the American Malcolm Miller (the real lining of Steve MC Quen in his stunts), will face the Peugeot Vatanen, Kankkunen, Pescarolo and Ambrosio. But in this duel announced Mitsubishi promptly invites himself with a beginner who quickly learned; Shinozuka. If Vatanen leads the dance chaining the scratch, Tambay clings and displays two specials to his credit before Bamako. An achievement ... We affirm Pascal Vigneron .... We had met so many problems of reliability that Zaniroli and Canelias had abandoned ... But this time, the mysterious "disappearance-reappearance" of the Peugeot of Vatanen was too big. It is the other Finnish brand lion, Kankkunen, who climbs on the 1st step of the podium. It is followed by the Mitsu of Shinozuka and Patrick Tambay, while the second Range Halt'up, that of Miller, hangs the 4th place and that very honorific of the "private". As for fast assistance, we also ensure the binomial Dupard / Bocandé finishes 11th, Not bad for a first official release!

• 2 weeks later...