V8 Manifold

Simon_CSK

How in the world of contortions do I get the bolt at the lower back offside on a V8 block bolted up?

I think I got it in place by ESP because my hands were too big to get anywhere near it. Now it is in I need to line up the gasket and bolt it up but cannot get a socket near it. Wish I had done it when the block was out.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Forget, but a ratchet 13mm from underneath I think gets in there?

Otherwise a combination of 3/8 ratchet, uni joint and short extensions.

Bowie

Thanks have got the bolt started again it must be by ESP. 3/8 deep reach will not get close so I am going to get 1/4 12 spline as I only have 6 at the moment. Almost there but it is getting to be a nightmare. 

Most of the engine in back in just the exhaust, the drive plate to connect and a sensor to refit then I can get it started hopefully.

19 hours ago, duncmc said:

I could only get a ring spanner on. Had to do it all that way I think.

I bought a 1/4in drive 12 spline deep reach socket set this morning that allowed me to get it further in until the ratchet fouled on the manifold but that then allowed me to use a 3/8in deep reach socket to get it in further until that too fouled. Now I will revert to the 1/4in with a small extension but given the position of the manifold pipes and the steering knuckle it in very difficult and I can only manage one or two clicks on the ratchet before I need to turn it back. Boy am I glad I don't do this for a living. :lol:

If only I had put the manifolds on before I reattached the engine then the question would have been how do I get the engine mount nuts on. :o

Well when I bought my range rover it didn't have any nuts on the engine mounts... so that's how! It also didn't have an air filter... which is how I found the engine mounts didn't have any nuts :o

I have a set of swivel head ratchet spanners that can sometimes help with this sort of thing. It's a Halfords set and came with an adaptor you can put in the spanner to then put a socket on so you also have a smaller ratcheting handle with a swivel head.

IIRC I used a combination of 13mm deep drive sockets, short extension bars and a 13mm ratchet spanner to do mine up - pretty sure I had to use the ratchet spanner for one of the ones towards the back. Access from the top may have been slightly better as this is a 110 with RRC manifolds though!