Door Lock Security

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Would you post up a picture of that idea with the bar, please, Simon?  I trust your ideas, but I'm not quite following the description.

I'll have a look.  It never progressed as far as CAD drawings, just a back of an envelope type sketch.  I keep all of them, so it will be around somewhere!

Perhaps some sparkles, go faster stripes, self polishing high sheen surface or similar frippery would have had appealed to the new breed of  thrusting, go getter, metrosexual, image conscious Puma owner.

You know them then?!

Si

Perhaps some sparkles, go faster stripes, self polishing high sheen surface or similar frippery would have had appealed to the new breed of  thrusting, go getter, metrosexual, image conscious Puma owner.

Looks like Ill have to sell my two Pxxm's and get my old Td5 back to be in the right gang.

14 hours ago, simonr said:

I'll have a look.  It never progressed as far as CAD drawings, just a back of an envelope type sketch.  I keep all of them, so it will be around somewhere!

Si

That'd be plenty - just enough to understand the concept.  My 109 is obsolete, so should be unattractive to the Defender thieves, and has been too messed about with for the classic or spares market, but tidy security enhancements are always of interest.  PM me if you don't want the orange paint manufacturers to see the concept (though I think the always wait until you have fully developed the concept before ripping you off).

Here's my solutions. Hasp & staple with padlock. Deadbolt with double pins. As deadbolt is set back inside the frame (about 30mm) its not easy to tamper with the actual mechanism. You've got to be comfortable bashing bits out of your LR though!

msq1788923.jpg

msq1788924.jpg

msq1788925.jpg

msq1788922.jpg

Edited by Jocklandjohn
  • Like 1

Thats the next part of the job. New doors going on shortly - I've welded these ones a couple of times now - and I'm aiming for either a pair of threaded rods protruding from the door edge into holes on the door post, or more likely a flat plate on the rear of the door coming out from under the door card which goes around the edge of the door post. Either will stop it being pulled out if the hinges are unscrewed. 

Just to emphasise the use of the X-Eng pedal box, last night between 1:00AM and 6:00AM, some little scrotes tried to seal my 110CSW. The rear door was opened using a pick and they tried to open the pedal box. They centre punched the lock into the casing, and the pedal box remained locked so the Land Rover was still on my drive this morning.

Now the problem is getting my LR working without giving the bad guys to opportunity to nick it. A new lock has been ordered from Foundry 4x4.

IMG_1463.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Absolutely, was actually a warning to the jeremy996...

yes I thought so, I guess as it is now Jeremy996 can either leave it as is which is relatively secure or remove it if he needs the car but leaving it unprotected.

I've been looking at ways of stopping a direct attack on the lock but still allowing use of the key ( which was a failing of my first strategy )

The protection has to be low profile or 'twould make driving harder :-)

(edit) some way of restricting access that still allows the key inserted and turned which doesnt need much leverage iyswim

Jocklandjohn,

Thanks for the update on the use of hasps and staples.  A very neat installation.

Are you able to share the manufacturer details of the deadbolts, please, without compromising your own security?  I can't find a double pin deadbolt over here.  I also very much like your proposed hinge side security.  Since my 110 is being totally stripped for rebuild now is the time to fit enhanced security options, although Land Rover theft is not such a problem this side of the pond.

Mike

On 10/02/2017 at 7:19 PM, Jocklandjohn said:

Deadbolt with double pins. As deadbolt is set back inside the frame (about 30mm) its not easy to tamper with the actual mechanism. You've got to be comfortable bashing bits out of your LR though!

I like that setup, if you had to do it again would you consider putting the reinforcing plate inside? It looks like you have had to profile the key end a bit and maybe that would have given a bit more clearance. a small stainless washer bonded to the skin would finish the hole?

15 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

Jocklandjohn,

Thanks for the update on the use of hasps and staples.  A very neat installation.

Are you able to share the manufacturer details of the deadbolts, please, without compromising your own security?  I can't find a double pin deadbolt over here.  I also very much like your proposed hinge side security.  Since my 110 is being totally stripped for rebuild now is the time to fit enhanced security options, although Land Rover theft is not such a problem this side of the pond.

Mike

Hi Mike - it is a Zone (makers name) double pin deadbolt and was obtained from Sentry Lock Supplies in the UK. I tried their site just now but cant get a connection. I seem to recall finding a few other stockists of it but Sentry ere cheapest. It came in a blister pack with two locks keyed alike. You could also get a three and a four pack as I recall.

8 hours ago, GW8IZR said:

I like that setup, if you had to do it again would you consider putting the reinforcing plate inside? It looks like you have had to profile the key end a bit and maybe that would have given a bit more clearance. a small stainless washer bonded to the skin would finish the hole?

The alloy plate on the outside is to cover the holes I cut for the previous deadbolts I fitted 15 years ago and replaced the barrels several times as they wore and corroded. I finally was unable to get a replacement barrels so fitted the double pin deadlocks. The plate just covers the other hole from previous lock. The key needed a wee bit filing off to allow it work with the lock set so far in, but its not compromising anything. I did fit a second piece inside so the pop rivets go through three layers. The inside one is oversized and goes over to the interior edge of the door so the plate cannot be turned. 

Other thing is the alloy on the door edge (second picture) which is fitted with the two bolts which is also a strengthener and anti-twist precaution.

Edited by Jocklandjohn

36 minutes ago, Jocklandjohn said:

Other thing is the alloy on the door edge (second picture) which is fitted with the two bolts which is also a strengthener and anti-twist precaution.

Yes I was thinking of tiging something like this to fit inside, I need to have a measure up first..

Capture.JPG

• 1 month later...