Salisbury Axle kit

DC_

I'm like buses, nothing for ages and then two posts come along ..... ?

Ok I reckon I've got a leaky rear axle offside. Are there any kits available to breathe new life into it? 

Ok, so if the flange is leaking, gasket needed or flange itself? 

What parts would I be better to replace here? 

a60d10e18bb251f43a537ba21873f9b2.jpg

Sorry i just want to do a good job on the beast.

Thanks guys, I'm not sure why I'm not getting notifications of replies, it's selected to email immediately. Hmmmmm

its leaking on the outside only. I'll get it off tomorrow and have a good look. RTV is on hand ??

3 hours ago, Les Henson said:

Check the rubber 'hub cap'. If it's cracked or loose it will leak axle oil to the outside of the wheel.

Les.

I second this as an initial check - clean wheel and put a new hub cap on(check old one for splits) did it and problem solved. Did take new one off and check it wasn't full of oil a week later and it was OK - so seems OK. Checked diff level also of course.

Worth a check first - otherwise its not a bad job - lots of videos of people doing various seals and bearings on hub's. They are designed to be fixed on the trail!

Finally got an email notification ?

New cap was put on about a month ago, still the same result. I'll double check for splits cracks, was under today finishing one side of rubbing down and painting the chassis to protect it. I'll see how the weather is tomorrow and get onto this leaky hub ??

What make was the cap? I went into a place local to me once and asked for one. They gave me a britpart one. Not really wanting it, but needing one quickly I opened it. It was cracked already - this was brand new. They got another one. The same. I think we opened 15 packets and they were all faulty out of the packet. I walked away!

Not sure what make, my friend had two spare in his garage, we tried one and it split, put the second one in hot water and it clipped on better. It's tomorrow's job for sure ! 

No notifications again grrrrr

ok I'm out right now here's what I can see so far, no visible cracks or leaks on the hub cap, looks like leakage on the drum so may be breather? How to check its clear/blocked? 

6AA7BC96-98B5-4022-81CF-A993E3EB4F88.jpg

17EB9CE6-07D1-41D2-8F46-523D7F33ECE6.jpg

40B357A3-B8F9-41EE-A6FD-7756C9714EDC.jpg

I'm now treading very carefully, as you can see the bolts that are coming out are very rusty, the one with the red paint on it, isn't playing ball, so it's slowly slowly catchy monkey to try ease it off.... oh please don't snap !!

E5C58534-C358-4AFE-A189-C26C08F43F62.jpg

On 18/01/2017 at 8:37 PM, Les Henson said:

If leaking from behind, then seal (7), plus gasket 11, plus lockwasher 16 (if you are unable to use the old one). If leaking from the outside, then gasket 11.

Les

Les if I'm now getting EP90 leaking when the flange is off, will it be seal 7 and gasket 11 ? 

18 minutes ago, reb78 said:

I check breathers by blowing down them with the filler plug out for the respective unit. Good time to top up if necessary then. 

So filler plug out on diff, blow into breather from front, how to tell there's a blockage?