Collecting fallen branches ?

Cornish Rattler

My mate does this, just goes out with a bow saw and bag whenever he takes his dog for a walk, cuts up dead/falled trees to 2 foot lengths and hoiks them home, if you're doing that 1-2 times a day your collection builds up.

Drying does kinda depend on where you're doing it. the trick is not to get it too dry, if its bone dry then the stuff burns far to readily and you end up going through heaps of the stuff.

54 minutes ago, Maverik said:

My mate does this, just goes out with a bow saw and bag whenever he takes his dog for a walk, cuts up dead/falled trees to 2 foot lengths and hoiks them home, if you're doing that 1-2 times a day your collection builds up.

Drying does kinda depend on where you're doing it. the trick is not to get it too dry, if its bone dry then the stuff burns far to readily and you end up going through heaps of the stuff.

Yeah it will probably be once every now and then but probably go with the Landy and trailer and spend a day at various locations collecting wood

A chap I used to know took fallen timber from trees 'at the side of the road' The trees were on land owned by the local council and he was caught by the police and arrested. He got a conditional discharge for taking the wood. If it belongs to someone else, then you need permission.

Les.

15 minutes ago, Les Henson said:

A chap I used to know.........

He should have told the police (In an accent) "Tony said it was OK" - though perhaps that only works when they are stealing stuff of real value?

Si

A couple of years ago, there were six big trees blown across the public road near our house. I made a start at clearing them and had got through three when a council van turned up. I kind of expected to get told off for working with a chainsaw on a public road, but they were really cool about it and pointed out that as long as I own the saw, and am working on fallen tree's, I do not need a certificate of competency. The Supervisor then advised that they only had one certified chainsaw person, and he was really busy... Had the known I was "at it", they would have sent me a couple of labourers.

I clear trees and branches off the roads, and keep the wood. My argument is that I am performing a service, and the wood is a reasonable reward. (Obviously, I would not keep a 200 year old oak!). 

thumb_IMG_3407_1024.jpg

Clearing roads is one thing, I doubt anyone would really complain :) But taking from a managed woodland is totally different -remember fallen timber is often left in managed land to promote habitat for insects and other wildlife, by removing it you destroy their home :) 

You'd still need a certificate of competence - unless it's your land and trees. Also need third party liability. So they put you in an interesting position within the law.

Used to be you would only need a CS30/31 but now you will need Level 2 in Maint and Crosscutting, Level 2 in Felling and processing over 380mm in diameter and Level three in windblown and uprooted trees

You'll also need to be on the County Highways Framework Contractor list, have full RAMS and TPL

Fallen timber is property. Full stop. Removal without permission is theft  (and possibly trespass). It may also contravene certain environmental legislation. For example I always specify that some arising's form tree works are left as habitat piles - piles of logs. These are hibernacula and as such protected

Of course you need to get caught first 

Call some local tree surgeons. Often they are looking for places to get rid of unseasoned wood if the landowner doesn't want it - some of our local ones have lists of people that want wood, and will drop it off to you if they are in the vicinity and need to get rid of it..