Isuzu 3.1/2.8 and v8 clutch

Hi all newbie to this group, thanks for the add, I have 3 series 2's a 90 with Isuzu 3.1 (was 2.8 till december) and rough 110 I have had a month or two intending to rebuild ish. This too is destined for the 3.1 Isuzu.

I worked for VOSA for 20 years as a QA officer for various schemes over Europe, always been a mechanic of sorts ( I allegedly have quals somewhere) I left VOSA and moved to the isle of man 8 years ago, where I have a ventilation business. I like Motorbikes too. My 90 runs a 2 tank used veg oil system, I have used veg oil 100% for over 20 years in all my Diesel vehicles and currently have a Merc 7.5 ton converted horsebox that we go to Europe in every summer (2,500 miles) for free on UVO. My home heating is also used vegoil so that's free too. Feel free to ask if interested in anyway.

My issue is I currently run a LR (for the lt77) clutch disc in an Isuzu 2.8 cover and flywheel (both brand new) I have tweaked the 3.1 fuel and turbo and it flies but the clutch cannot handle the torque especially 1600 to 2200 revs. I use the 90 (1986) everyday for the business and tow various trailers. I could de tune the motor but there is more power to come and avoiding the revs it slips at is irritating. I have Rangie TB and it redlines at 105mph (I have not gone past 90mph mind) The motor std has 125/135 hp depending on year I believe, it is a strong example (ish) and I am guessing it now pushes 150-160 hp maybe more, judging the improvement from std (lots of testing and monitoring)

I need to think up a better clutch, do the bods on here know what clutch is what when power tunes/changed engines spin the clutch. I was hoping the V8 clutch would fit, I can machine the flywheel to take the cover (or use the 250mm 3.1 cover, the 2.8 is 91/2") but was hoping to negate the sourcing different clutch parts. Some suggest the 130 hd but Ashcroft recon, cover is std plate torsionally stronger (ie spring up grade to handle shock loading to cope with increased vehicle weight etc, not for more torque) 

Anyone help ! Please !

Sorry to ramble on (Led Zep reference) but I do by nature.

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2017 at 7:56 AM, daslandroverman said:

Simplest solution would be speak to 'Clutchfix' who will be able to make you a custom clutch setup to suit your requirements. 

They've done a lot for the Cummins lads, and a couple for the BMW M57 crowd.

Save too much mix and match.

My spare flywheel is with Ben at clutchfix having the flywheel machined to take his HD organic tdi clutch fitted.

On 1/22/2017 at 9:58 AM, landroversforever said:

I was going to mention the HD 130 clutch but you've already discounted that idea. The Clutchfix lot get a great rep from the Cummins lads and anyone else needing a custom clutch :)

My spare flywheel is with Ben at clutchfix having the flywheel machined to take his HD organic tdi clutch fitted.

On 1/24/2017 at 8:33 PM, Carloz said:

And when the clutch holds, the LT77 breaks... :rolleyes:

Yeah that is the next concern, I am gentle with the thing and I don't off road, its whether the box will stand the torque ! we will have to see, I have 2 spare boxes.

I would try to source a V8 santana box and use the v8 clutch, as fridge says. I don't understand that the 130 clutch is not able to transfer more torque; it has a bigger diameter, so all being equal, that should make things better.

How do you find the 3.1? Would be great to see a feature in special build vehicles.

Daan

On 5/20/2017 at 6:52 PM, Daan said:

I would try to source a V8 santana box and use the v8 clutch, as fridge says. I don't understand that the 130 clutch is not able to transfer more torque; it has a bigger diameter, so all being equal, that should make things better.

How do you find the 3.1? Would be great to see a feature in special build vehicles.

Daan

It had a 2.8 in when I got it that was tired and it was an amazing lump, revved for ever but was worn out. I could not find another but there were some 3.1s around, so I had no choice, the 3.1 is indirect inj, (2.8 direct) anyhow I fitted it without too much trouble, and it is without doubt the best engine I have ever had on 100% used veg oil, (twin tank) and the best I have personally driven in a 90. (lad has 200 and 300 tdi) It is a lot lighter than the LR engines too, I have tweaked the pump and turbo (with the gauges and probes in place) and it flies hence the clutch although top quality and brand new will not hold the torque, it is quiet without any soundproofing. I paid £50 for the trooper complete and I have now bought another for £100. It is a 1986 I use for work (own Business) and it tows a trailer all over the Isle of Man where we live. I keep it going on a shoe string with another donor 90. Just for the crack really and to prove it can be done, most stuff is attached with pull ties, and I mean most stuff. Hardly a special build do you think !