12J 2.5 NA Injector washer

I am reassembling my 12J engine. The workshop manual talks about domed steel washers that go in first, then a larger copper washer with the injector.

In the Payer kit there are no domed steel washers, but there are some crush-able copper washers. Are these a substitute for the 'domed' ones.

I have this type of injector (not from this supplier, but was an easy pic to capture):

http://www.xplorworldwide.com/LAND-ROVER-SERIES-225-or-25-DIESEL-FUEL-INJECTOR

The ad says that it comes with 'all correct copper washers'. The domes steel washers are not shown.

Is there a type of injector that does not need the smaller 'domed' washer?

Thanks,

Colin

Injector.JPG

I have always fitted the domed steel washer when replacing the injectors. From memory my gasket set didn't include them and I had to buy them separately. They sit right at the bottom of the injector nozzel to stop hot gasses getting past the nozzel. Part number 12H220L

I'd get a good stash of them to keep safe in your tool box so that you have a set to hand incase you have to remove the injectors again for some reason. Make sure that the old ones are out of the head first. Occasionally they get stuck in the head and they can be very difficult to see. If one is stuck, get it turning round in the head by pushing it with a small screw driver then you should be able to lift it out using the screw driver.

https://www.lrdirect.com/12H220L-Washer/?gclid=CjwKEAiAqozEBRDJrPem0fPKtX0SJAD5sAyHzNPzMFfpw77wdj0s8dhmQkXuz07YK4yQaG4AqarOgxoCUJbw_wcB

Well you learn something every day, just checked the Albrit site http://www.albrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=746554&SPRACHE=EN

And sure enough domed steel then a copper on top - I am fairly sure when I did mine I just fitted a copper one, they are not leaking but I wonder if the injector being slightly lower will make any difference.

Going to order some and change them.

Ok. I received my washers this morn (hotshotted straight from Britpart) but the dome washer is way smaller than I expected and fits inside the copper washer.

Surely if I try and fit them, then the dome washer is going to go through the hole in the head and end up rattling about inside the "hotspot"

I maybe just confused but I can't see how it will work, have I got the right washers as in the pictures from the manaul they both look the same size?

20170124_112128.jpg

The injectors sit in the head on two surfaces, hence the two washers. The hole drilled into the head steps down to 3 different diameters. The larger diameter is to fit the injector body, the next size down is to accept the nozzel and then there is just a small hole at the bottom to allow fuel into the swirl chamber. The washer will not fall through!

See the picture below. The large copper washer fits over the nozzel and seals where the injector body sits in the largest diameter hole in the head. The smaller domed washer fits right at the bottom (dome facing upwards). The best way I have found to fit this washer is to let is slide down some wire. If you use a screw driver that is magnetised at the tip, then you will just keep bringing the washer back out again!

injector washer.png

PS. I don't know if you are able to read the text in the picture posted above. If not, it explains the importance of the domed washer being inplace to stop the combustion gasses causing the nozel to overheat, it also warns you to be careful that when you take a washer out of the pack to ensure you only have one. The little sods are good at stacking and it is easy to accidentally have two stacked up.:angry:

HTH

I have been thinking about it and came to the conclusion that, that is what it's like.

The tolerances on the seat pockets and injector must have to be fairly good so it seals on both washers at the same time - I know there is a bit of "squish" on the dome and on the copper but even so.

Regards, Kev