Land rover discovery 1 200 tdi water pump

Bandog

I think you've hit the nail on the head. With an electronically managed engine, within reason more power is simples. With a proper engine it's proper mechanics. Not boost pins

Recently fitted an OM 617 Turbo pump to an OM 605 conversion in a G wagen. Didn't want the electrics. It works remarkably well. Now comes the tweaking...

I must admit I have always thought that boost pins are a paradox, when the original can be played with and the pump fuelling. The standard turbo is robust enough to push more boost though. This driveability nonsense that is banded about is nonsense though. 

Like on the two stroke bikes and cars from the 80s with big turbos, if you get bogged down, slip the clutch a bit and get things whizzing. Driveability, no, poor drivers! 

You think this guy worries about driveability??? 

A Tdi driven hard is a big ask of the SIII gear box and Rover rear diff (even more of a SII or SI box, and I know you have the Salisbury already, eliminating that problem).  The last thing you'd want to do is tune the engine for more torque unless you  intend to replace the gear box too.  Even with standard Tdi tuning, you have to feed the throttle and clutch in progressively if you want the gear box to survive.  Spin up the turbo and drop the clutch and you'll strip the teeth or shear a shaft.

• Like 1