Removal of oil seal from diff best method

I have oil leaks from both prop shafts so planning to replace both flanges and seals in coming months.

Watched a couple of videos recently and a common trick/technique for removing the seal is to drill a hole (or 2), then screw a self tapper in and use it to pull the seal out.

I was wondering, never having done one before, can you use a puller by fitting it in the gap between oil seal and pinion shaft and use that to extract it ?  Not sure if there is sufficient space to get the puller legs in ?

Or is there a better way ?

A normal seal puller tool will do the job or, if you haven't got one of them it can normally be levered out using a screwdriver, spanner or small pry bar. There's plenty of room to get in around the pinion and get your levering tool between the pinion bearing and the back of the seal. Some people just over think these things !

Thought the screw method was a bit over kill, I have used a screw driver to lever oil seals out before. Fortunately I have 2 pullers - a 2 prong and 3 prong so spoilt for choice there.

Obviously the guy's in the videos either don't have pullers or just like over complicating the job !

Cheers guy's