88" 2a /3/defender /discovery hybrid, with Salisbury axle. 

Neither the trutrack slip, or the arb cover are listed as series compatible. 

As are so many parts, that do in fact fit perfectly. 

DSC_0419-980x551.JPG

DSC_0421-980x551.JPG

This axle has cost more than the initial purchase price of the vehicle. New cw and p too in there, and all new timken. 

Edited by Bandog

I considered keeping it original bowie69, for about   . 3 of a second. But Figured; it's a hybrid, so no point, and if I can have a tax exempt, and very practical every day user, it's a no brainer, if it doesn't go missing. It's something that I won't be selling in the near future. 

Whatever time I put in, or money means yes, I would never reclaim any of it, but at least I know that I have seen every part of the vehicle, in the palm of my hand, and know it's right. It will be a year on 26th of Feb when I took it off the road. Nearly done now. And thank you. 

Hey, no criticism from here, all people from all walks come here, and I suspect the Morris Minor purists out there would be pretty concerned about me chopping up a Traveller and making a pickup, with a turbocharged A-series up front ;)

• Like 1

Probably slightly different to be honest, the MG metro turbo was slightly big for the application, so only really got going at the top end, plus modern turbos are so, so much more efficient... plus I want to run EFI, so the ease of getting that turbo to work just flies out the window :) 

Will be going NA to begin with then turbo at a later date. Even NA though I expect around 85-90 horses from the A+ Ital 1275... which in 800Kg should feel fairly spritely to begin with.

Many years from now a 1.0 ecoboost may find its way in there, but that will only be once someone has sorted out decent RWD gearboxes for them.

Stick in a Kent 266 cam and minisprint 1:5:1 roller rockers mate. (single 1 3/4 sure) the Kent 266 is the best for driveability in my experience. It's similar to the bmc mg metro nasp cam, but has better torque all the way from the get go, and rises all the way to the top rev range better than the mg. 35" inlet and 29 ex valves (standard mg metro)  will complement. 

• Like 1

Cool, yeah played with he head already, hadn't decided on the valve sizes though :)

Engine has only done 18K from new, so mint. Cam is staying stock, on these latest of A+ (1984)they have a very good grind, almost identical to the MG Metro. Will review when I go turbo :)

Sorry for OT...

What is ot? 

Definitely would love another mini. Nothing beats the A series burble. 

3 icons, never really changed are the original mini, series landy and 911.

One day I will try for all 3 at once. 

Getting too old for superbikes now, the bones don't mend like they used to, and another head injury and I am done mate. 

Off-topic :)

Bikes -played with them in the field when young (and on the road, but shhhhhhhhhh!), decided too much pain just from small injuries, so imagine what a big one would do :)

Have to agree on the exhaust note, definitely unique on an A-series :)

Here's the other icon that I cannot live without. I call it Mr Fusion, because EVERYTHING gets chucked on it. 

Does my top hob, x2 ovens x2 hot water and radiators. All on bits of wood and windfall trees chainsawed and split down. These haven't changed in many years. More than I have been here on this planet. 

DSC_0558-980x551.JPG

What ratio do you have on the diff, and how much did you pay for it?  I'd love to have an Ashcroft ATB in my 109, which works in the same way as the Eaton.  I'm not sure they are compatible with 4.71 ratio diffs, though (I can't remember now whether it is just the Rover diff that has the ring gear flange offset at a different position betweent he 3.54 and 4.71 models or the Salisbury too).

That is the reason it's not listed for series. It's a 3:5 cwp. The 4:7 won't fit. 

Trutrack are cheap and cheerful, fit and forget, no compressor etc. Good reviews too. I would have preferred a locker. May get one for the front soon after I get a decent winch. It was price matched for me at rimmer bros the same as paddock. Think I paid 600

If you have big old fat tyres you need more than 4.7 if you are a serious off roader. I have gone for a compromise, because 99 percent of motoring is on black top. It's got an lt77 with ashcroft conversion for the series transfer box ( also no longer available)  and I also want to run 85 profile tyres. So my gearing is tall. It also means that dana axle is up a bit more. No where near the ground clearance of a rover diff. 

I don't use the 109 for serious off roading - it's set up as an exped vehicle.  It has a Def/Disco hybrid 200Tdi, a bit like yours, with 110 rear axle and Discovery front axle on 4.71 diffs after the 3.54 diffs proved incompatible with the SIII transmission (it was horrible to drive and eventually stripped teeth from third gear).  4.1s might work nicely as it is a little under geared, but I have no idea if they're still too much for the SIII box.

I have bought a ZF22 and Borg Warner to replace the SIII transmission for noise and robustness, plus permanent 4wd, but if I fit those, I'll need an IVA and will lose the tax exempt VIN, so I have to think carefully about it.  That would do well with the 4.1s too, but then again, most noise comes from the transmission and having the torque converter lock up at lower speed would save a lot of fuel and transmission heat, so the 4.71s are almost certainly going to stay. 

I'm sure an Eaton or Ashcroft ATB would fit 4.71 with a spacer ring between flange and ring gear - the 4.71 pinion head is smaller, after all.  Better to have a thicker solid ring gear, though.  It's going the other way, fitting taller gearing to the 4.71 diff centres that is a big problem.

Yeah a know nick, you told me ;)

I have the lt77 with ashcroft conversion kit. The 4:7 crownwheel is a different fit on the diff. It's a case of having to turn down the diff (ouch)  to fit the profile of the 4:7. The bits are all here to play with if you want them mate. I would practice first on an old defender diff centre, before, just to see. Because of the wider crownwheel of the 4:7 the offset as you say is already taken up, no spacer required. It's down to the shanfer profile on the mating surfaces where the compatibility issues are mate. 

• Like 1