OME Shock absorbers failed - unscrewed themselves

Tobias

Hi

I realised over the weekend that the rear right shock absorber was broken (as I thought).

When testing by bouncing it was evident that the rear left wasn't doing any good either.

Upon closer inspection it showed that they both have unscrewed themselves. Apparently the rod has come unscrewed from the piston. On both!

These are fairly new OME 60039 dampers fitted to a Defender 130. They were fitted by the previous owner and I have no receipts so I guess a warranty claim is out of the question. It is a reputable brand and many swear by them. 

How could this have happened? Any possible mistakes when mounting? I can not imagine that, but it's better to ask...

Production miss? Did they forget the loc-tite at assembly?

Thanks

Tobias

IMG_9928.JPG

IMG_9929.JPG

IMG_9931.JPG

Edited by Tobias

6 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

Made in China now - at a price

Mine have made in Mexico clearly stamped on them..... i do t know if that's a good thing but I do hope that the change of factory doesn't mean a drop in quality. They are a good shock but are too expensive to just replace after the piston decides it wants a devorce. 

it might be worth an email to the uk distributor in hope they might lean on OME to get a better result

2 hours ago, Davo said:

So - if I've got it right - the top and bottom halves just unscrewed themselves as they were bouncing around? (Ok, you can take that in another way but it's a serious question.) 

Exactly!

More clearly, it seems the piston, which sits in the bottom part, unscrewed itself from the Piston rod, which is part of the top part.

In both rear shocks!

Within driving distance of 30-100km of each other!

Tobias

Edited by Tobias

54 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Bilsteins get many votes in the Audi world...

So does tailgating at 90 with your foglights on, but that doesn't make it right thefinger.gif

I'm very happy with the Bilsteins on the 109 though, made a world of difference over the ProComps.

• Like 1

Checking out the Bilstien B6s on Paddocks and there seems to be a different spec for Pre and post TD5 model numbers. And a £10 price difference. Assuming fitment is identical (AFAIK), what changed in the damping characteristics between the 2 to justify 2 different models and such a price difference?

Rear lower fitment certainly changed around Td5 time - later ones have a slightly longer pin and use two cone-shaped bushes that sit in captive cups on the axle with a pair of free washers to cap them. Earlier ones use the traditional 'doughnut' bush and two pairs of free washers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Red90 said:

Bilsteins if you want a firm ride.  Konis if you want a comfortable ride.

I like the sudden outburst of advice! :) As above is what I've come across so far. Expensive way to test, though. 

Made in Mexico....  How old id you say they were?

Argentina makes a lot of shocks - most are generic; so does Canada. But these are assembly lines. Bits are made in China, Taiwan, India, Australia etc...  Like the 'Merican made Warn Winch.

My 200Tdi runs Raw 4x4 Heavy Duty shocks. These were one of the best Australian shocks, then the factory in Argentina decided to swap the assembly works to Canada. So the disgruntled staff in Argentina starting sabotaging stuff... Shocks started failing when you lowered the vehicle off the jack. Suddenly the Raw 4x4 name was mud... My first set did just this - well two did; one front, one rear. Just dumped all the oil out of the seals in one big splurge. The imported honoured the sale and gave me a new set. That was three years ago. Brilliant shocks. Slightly hard, but I prefer that - don't like soft and squidgy