An ex cop and friend of mine telling me that in Halifax, if you drive a defender through the town, people come out of shops etc to look at you, and it's likely that you will get pulled by the law to see if it's yours, or if you have just swiped it! 

What are your thoughts? 

9 hours ago, Bandog said:

Sad to see someone's pride and joy stolen and wrecked like that.  With prices going the way they have, if it's just body damage, they'll probably have it repaired on the insurance.  Glad they caught the thieves, but they'll probably get a token gesture of a sentence, especially if they play the "traveller" race card.

31 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Sad to see someone's pride and joy stolen and wrecked like that.  With prices going the way they have, if it's just body damage, they'll probably have it repaired on the insurance.  Glad they caught the thieves, but they'll probably get a token gesture of a sentence, especially if they play the "traveller" race card.

The Traveller race card ?

Having watched a few episodes of police interceptors last time I was in UK I am surprised the police even bother TBH. The number of vehicles chased and caught in flagrant breach of any number of laws, including things like being full of drugs and stolen, or stolen and parked on somene's driveway with fake IDs and the keys inside the kitchen drawer. Typical response from CPS? No charges brought, vehicles impounded and drugs impounded but the culprits walk away with no comeback on them at all? I appreciate that they don't give the full facts of each case on such programmes but that just makes you wonder why the police even bother? Especially when you also hear stories about, I think it was Sunderland, places where people are being fined £1000 for not picking up their dog's excrement.

I guess it just comes down to resources / money.  The Police on the whole do a reasonable job of catching people considering the resource strain they are under.  The CPS have the same issue.  The UK, I believe, has the highest prison population per capita in the world - so the CPS have to decide what will make the biggest difference as well as when they have the best chance of securing a conviction.

That said, the UK is still one of the nicest, safest places to live in the world - so they're not doing too bad a job overall.

Si

• Like 2

It's £1000 fine on my street for not picking up after your dog, but who enforces it? People don't walk around with a numberplate on their back so it's not like you can even report someone for it yourself.

Saying they get nothing is untrue, sometimes they get £5 a week stopped from the free money the state gives them. That'll learn 'em!

To me prison should only be for people who are not safe to be allowed on the streets, labour should be the punishment for the rest, make the country better for everyone, like picking up the dog muck and litter from the verges, cleaning & painting public areas etc. Except they'd get stung by a thistle, have an emotional breakdown as their mother didn't hug them enough and we'd have to pay thousands in compensation and provide free sky tv for life :rolleyes:

Ooh we are getting into working for your dole money territory here, which I totally agree with , maybe once Brexit is completed and we don't have The European Court Of Human Rights on our backs we might be able to do something about it. I agree with Simon though , the uk ain't the worst country to live in .

• Like 1

I've been in more police stn's than I care to remember and I always saw the same thing, local intelligence 'mug shots' on the walls with lists of known activities.. all the shots share a common theme.. laughing, grinning, pulling faces.... I asked a CID guy that I was working with what the score was, I said if I was being photographed I'd be ashamed .. the response.. they couldn't care less as they know they are almost fireproof....... unless they cross the line into serious stuff they just get a day in court which they wear as a badge of honour.

Maybe we should return to the old ways of policing where a swift kick up the fundament, or the lightest of beatings with a truncheon, served to remind people that the police were not amused by their activities?

On the subject of miscreants being made to work to pay their debt to society, I lived in USA for a while (a murder every night and 2 a night at weekends in the local city) where the people who committed lower level crime could be seen doing just the sorts of jobs described above. How could you tell? Bright orange overalls with the something like "I am a criminal" on the back, in BIG letters. Typically being supervised by either a police officer or Sheriff's deputy, naturally said custodian of the law would be carrying enough firepower to invade a small country

Edited by neil110

Seen the news recently? In Paris  there's 4 suspended police officers all charged with assault, and one charged with 'aggravated rape' where he shoved a truncheon up where it isn't supposed to be, all because some one was protesting...

As an side, bring back the birch :P

I think pillory in the town square at weekends would do the job nicely for crimes like theft, vandalism and such.  Violent crime should be a life custodial sentence though, except where there are exceptional mitigating circumstances (for example, I knew a man who did three years for GBH, but the guy he'd attacked was his daughter's rapist, who'd got off his own conviction on a technicality).