New Def Neddy

neil110

I just played around on Ford's web site building and pricing a Ranger and with all the bells and whistles I got it to £34,164 Which to be honest is an absolutely outrageous price for a vehicle of any description. I imagine the japanese pick ups are broadly similar in price speciification so I would hazard a guess that Land Rover's base model will come in just under that sort of price. No doubt time will tell

I think Landrover will offer a very basic 'new Defender' with commercial operators in mind.  In my mind's eye it will be a pretty good replacement for the 'old Defender' base model with rubber mats, vinyl seats and windy windows (actually, probably not windy windows as it will be as expensive as electric ones!) - a farmer special if you like.  They will then offer upgrade 'packs' with things like cloth seats, leather seats, carpet, AC, sunroof etc. - all rather like buying a 1978 Ford Cortina which went from Billy basic to GLX Ghia and so on.  There will also be 'Lifestyle' models, the XS equivalent, for those who want Discovery/RR levels of comfort.

Someone a few posts ago asked whether any of us had bought a new Defender in the last five years,  Me, in 2013, a 110 XS USW.  Loved the car, didn't think much of the gearbox (may have been the transmission generally) but I hated the fact that I might damage it off-road and so I sold it after nine months - and bought a Td5 90 and a FFRangeRover, both of which are far better suited to what I need - if only one at a time!

I am greatly looking forward to 'new Defender', not least to see what we get and who was right!!  I may even buy one in time...

Chris

On 10/02/2017 at 8:08 PM, neil110 said:

But to get back to the point. Realistically how many of the people responding here have bought a new Defender in the last what 5 years? We aren't the target market. I imagine the number of enthusiasts who buy, or bought, a new Defender is a vanishingly small proportion of the vehicles sold

That would be me, twice over in the last five years. In all the years I've owned innumerable Defenders there was a slow shift away from marketing aimed at the utility, farming and military sectors and more toward the individual who believed they were buying an image, an icon of something essentially British even though the company had passed through various Johnny Foreigner's hands even though they still failed to rustproof, seal and screw them together properly after 60 years ;)

8 hours ago, neil110 said:

I just played around on Ford's web site building and pricing a Ranger and with all the bells and whistles I got it to £34,164 Which to be honest is an absolutely outrageous price for a vehicle of any description. I imagine the japanese pick ups are broadly similar in price speciification so I would hazard a guess that Land Rover's base model will come in just under that sort of price. No doubt time will tell

Was that an "including VAT" price??

I've been trawling too and a well specc'd pick up is nudging the price for what I paid for my D4! Sure, those that are fortunate enough to reclaim the VAT win here but as a private user they're not as economically viable as you'd expect. Buying the base spec model is probably the intelligent option. 

But back OT, when the new Defender turns up it will have to be a quantum leap to attract people back from the Amarok/Rodeo and Ranger buyers. These are customers who have splashed usually well north of £30k when choosing and its those people they need to impress...the customers waiting in the wings for the 3+yrs old market are not in their demographic....and certainly not those of us recycling their "historic" productions:blink:

It's been mentioned time and again that the classic Defender is a love/hate machine; you do one or the other. There are the romantics that love the image that a 90 or a 110 conjures up but the harsh reality of owning,driving and repairing one soon loses its appeal. Those that have moved on won't be easily swayed back from decent build, acceptable economy, unheard of reliability and 21st Century automotive engineering that the aforementioned competitors produce! A mate from Scottish Water just got the Fiat Fullback as a replacement for his van, fully loaded in black and much as I loathe the rebadged L200 that it is this one looked better without all the nasty plastic chrome that Mitsubishi love. 

JLR need to up their game; big boots to fill.

10 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

Was that an "including VAT" price??

I've been trawling too and a well specc'd pick up is nudging the price for what I paid for my D4! Sure, those that are fortunate enough to reclaim the VAT win here but as a private user they're not as economically viable as you'd expect. Buying the base spec model is probably the intelligent option. 

But back OT, when the new Defender turns up it will have to be a quantum leap to attract people back from the Amarok/Rodeo and Ranger buyers. These are customers who have splashed usually well north of £30k when choosing and its those people they need to impress...the customers waiting in the wings for the 3+yrs old market are not in their demographic....and certainly not those of us recycling their "historic" productions:blink:

It's been mentioned time and again that the classic Defender is a love/hate machine; you do one or the other. There are the romantics that love the image that a 90 or a 110 conjures up but the harsh reality of owning,driving and repairing one soon loses its appeal. Those that have moved on won't be easily swayed back from decent build, acceptable economy, unheard of reliability and 21st Century automotive engineering that the aforementioned competitors produce! A mate from Scottish Water just got the Fiat Fullback as a replacement for his van, fully loaded in black and much as I loathe the rebadged L200 that it is this one looked better without all the nasty plastic chrome that Mitsubishi love. 

JLR need to up their game; big boots to fill.

Is that L200 the same Triton that was breaking chassis? 

2 hours ago, neil110 said:

Yes that was inc VAT, with the 3.2 engine and all the options they offered for that particular model

But it's possible to shop around and negotiate some really substantial discounts on the RRP's. Some member organisations offer discounts which means even the small business or private buyer can buy at fleet discount prices. I got five grand off my new 3.2 auto just a few months ago.

No, I think we can safely say it'll be 30k plus! Thing is you can get the jeep rubicon for 36k with a v6 engine, locking diffs front and rear and a dislocating anti roll bar. I just can't imagine land rover will do that sort of vehicle for that sort of price? 

6 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

No, I think we can safely say it'll be 30k plus! Thing is you can get the jeep rubicon for 36k with a v6 engine, locking diffs front and rear and a dislocating anti roll bar. I just can't imagine land rover will do that sort of vehicle for that sort of price? 

Sheesh, I can't imagine Land Rover doing that sort of vehicle for any sort of price! :lol:

A quote from the BBC
" Plans for a new off-road 4x4 in the spirit of Land Rover's discontinued Defender are being drawn up by Jim Ratcliffe, founder of manufacturing firm Ineos and one of the UK's richest men. "

Somebody has decided not to wait for Land rover to announce a new version of the Defender

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zardos said:

A quote from the BBC
" Plans for a new off-road 4x4 in the spirit of Land Rover's discontinued Defender are being drawn up by Jim Ratcliffe, founder of manufacturing firm Ineos and one of the UK's richest men. "

Somebody has decided not to wait for Land rover to announce a new version of the Defender

Oh dear me, if he's that wealthy that should be just the ticket for a utility vehicle. Where do I sign??? 

The interview with The MD of Ineos, on Radio 4 this morning was very refreshing

One got the feeling that they have done research and are aware of what they are doing - and they have the cash to do it

LR are a low volume manufacturer. The last years of production they squeezed out 20k or so Defenders. That's b*gger all

So remove the 50% of poseurs, concentrate on the utitlity market and look to move on 10k of cars in year 2/3

They want to build a UTILITY  vehicle with good off road capability.  Simples 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'm amazed by how much hate there is for a vehicle which no-one has seen or even knows anything about :lol:

I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT BUT I HATE IT AND IT'S RUBBISH AND THEY HAVE RUINED IT AND IT WON'T WORK!

Well . . . . . . . . they don't exactly have the best track record up until now. It's like [insert favourite hopeless British institution here] suddenly becoming useful and efficient. It's a nice idea . . . but . . . 

On the other hand, can I tell you about something called a LandCruiser?