Wheel alignment

Bandog

Hybrid from Hell posted a thread on how to do it with string.

Why do you think it is complicated?

Any decent tyre comp should be capable but make sure they use Series stting not Defender!

Best way is to go forarmed with the manuals setting.

IIRC they are both 1.2 to 2.4mm but Series is toe in and the other is out due to the different suspension type?

There are 4x4 tyre companies, in Surrey is AJS, Andy Sargent has been racing offroad for years.

take the wheels of and fit 2 bits of angle iron, 16" long, on 1 wheel stud (16.5 mm hole in the middle of the angle iron). Measure with a tape measure and adjust. Getting the ball joints to turn is usually the biggest head ache.

Daan

Easy, as they all said, as long as the rod ends aren't rusted solid into the track rod.

As Sid said, the SII and III spec is 1.2-2.4mm toe IN.  Defender, RRC and Discovery 1 is the same amount toe OUT (I think it's due to the permanent vs part time 4wd, the wheel thrust or drag bring the wheels into parallel while driving).  It's important to get that the right way around, and most tyre shops will treat is as a Defender and screw it up.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:45 PM, Snagger said:

...... as long as the rod ends aren't rusted solid into the track rod.

As Snagger said ^^^

Some years ago I had a tyre shop decline to look at my RRC's tracking. They made some excuse like 'we can't do Landrovers'.
I suspected this might be because they were worried the rod ends being stuck solid, so I mentioned that all the rod ends were new (which was why I wanted the tracking checked) and would move freely. With this new information they had a sudden change of heart and jumped on the job.

I can understand their concern, having spent a great deal of time myself trying to remove old joints prior to replacement.