What size of jerry can?

DC_

Ok guys, got a nice birthday pressie of two 20L jerry cans to go in my 110 1986 ex MoD. 

Side compartments all sanded down and painted. Went out today to put them in, they don't fit in on their side just one in and it's tilted. 

So have I got jerry cans that aren't MoD spec? Was a bit gutted they don't fit snug. Must be only mm in it with the seam of the can making it taller on its side. 

It's a well known fact that the water 20l cans don't allow the doors to close, but the diesel ones should (just about). It helps a bit if you don't fill them right up and squich them a bit to get the belly in a bit.

I ditched the flat locker doors and got some wolf items to rivet on which gives a nicer closing action/fit.

• Like 1

Are they actual ex-service military cans, or new modern replacements sold for the civilian market?

I ask because part of the many successful elements of the Dr Porsche original design was that the seams did NOT protrude, so did not dig into an adjacent can when 'many' cans were loaded together into a lorry.

I think I'd be tempted to put the can on its seam on a hard surface, concrete or steel, then gently address the upper seam with a copper hammer until the seam no longer protrudes. Then turn the can over and check the other seam for protrusion, applying the same remedial action until the problem has 'disappeared'.
:-)

Regards.

• Like 1

Had a look at the order, it looks like it's modern ones. They are good quality and would be a shame if they don't fit in where they're meant to go......

So do you think I should add some "character" and make them fit? Or secure one each side and secure? 

So do you think I should add some "character" and make them fit?

Thankyou for giving me a chance to review my suggestion !! :-)

Yes, given a controlled and moderate, but not excessive, level of force I do not see you adding character in the way of dents, although the paint will be damaged.
All you are doing is flexing the bends where the sides bend into a U shape, designed to recess the welded seam within the outer envelope profile.

They won't (shouldn't) look any worse than if you had bought some ex-service examples, which could be a lot worse than your new ones inside.

Regards.

I have those lockers on my vehicle and had to stamp on the cans while empty to flatten them a bit to fit two per side.  If you want to carry MoD plastic water cans, they're even fatter and require once side of the adjacent fuel can to be stamped in concave to fit the locker.  That's why the new lockers on TUM (Wolf 110) and the after market lockers have bevelled doors.

• Like 1

Thanks Snagger, I'm thinking of just putting one in each side. Be a shame to "rough them up a bit". Mind you, having a compartment free is pretty handy for a sack of logs........ 

I'm going for a water storage tank just inside the rear door, with a pipe and tap when I'm away on adventures. 

The MoD cans have recessed welded seams.  They shouldn't have any problem fitting the locker other than the width problem - they certainly shouldn't need to be set crooked.  There shouldn't be too much free space, though, as otherwise they bump about and could split when full and heavy.