V8 end of life do you recomend TD5/99-01 as a transplant for D1

94Discovery

One thing rarely mentioned during these engine swap debates is all the other little things that would wind up taking forever to do. I'd love an LS, (and it would be easier to get parts for over here than for the Rover), but at the moment I've got an air compressor, and air conditioning compressor, two alternators, and a power steering pump all hanging off the front of my Rover V8. It would be a nightmare trying to get all that relocated. So it's just easier to stick with the Rover. (The other thing that puts me off is getting it re-registered - apparently modified vehicles in Western Australia will spontaneously explode outside of orphanages, convents, kitten shelters, etc.) 

• Like 1

They did the drive under water thing on scrapheap challenge with an old land rover about 15 years ago (when it was proper scrapheap challenge, not the nonsense that repalced it)! I cant recall, it was probably an old 2.5 NA engine.

The cummins does look like a nice option if it could find a market over here though - suspect our emissions laws will kill it??

Thanks for the comments guys all very fair, particularly around availability.

I had a cursory look for the toyota v8 too but that is in limited supply. I want a petrol, and would love to stick with a V8 almost purely for nostalgia, the rumble, and it's kinda been passed down in my bones along with brewing my own beer! Any how I digress. If I could get a more recent engine in and mega squirted then I'd consider that but realistically the cut off is around £5k for something that is do-able. The conversations going on here imply more like £10-15k for the LS then all parts shipped over which would be a ball ache.

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Ah yeah good luck doing mods in Aus, it always sounds like a nightmare.

FWIW an LS will run quite happily under water...

I think in many cases it's just not possible to live long enough to get some modifications through. :(

• Like 1

12 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

I watched that episode with a big smile. Did you see the later one where they replaced that preproduction engine with the new crate 2.8? The sump got smashed because it was plastic - now sorted by Cummins

I had a look and I think those motors start at around $11,000. Which sounds like a lot to me. I'm sure it's a nice motor and has tuning potential. But if fuel is that pricey you'll get a better performing RV8 for a lot less money. And a lot less hassle fitting it into a Land Rover. 

Oh I'd still stick with an RV8 - but that's my stock answer with a problematic RV8 install. I just liked the Cummins option in that episode of Dirt Every Day

My ethos is 'why make life difficult?' so many stock engines are actually very good. If you want to go faster, buy a hatchback. If you want bigger tyres, change the gearing. The RV8 is so basic and simple it's open to a huge range of reliability permutations for relatively low bucks. Even in the US of A or Canada

Yup, I'm with you there. The Rover V8 as used in 4WDs was never meant to be a power monster, it was just what they had at the time, and for what it is - and what it was meant to be used for - it's still fine. 

• Like 2