Just bought myself some durite l.e.d.s (quality brand)  for rear work /reverse. 4000 lumens 

Not bad price, 25 quid but you can't replace the led when it dies. 

I am thinking of getting a front light bar above the front windscreen. However, I really don't want to get blinded by reflection from the bonnet. Does this happen at all with the light bar l.e.d.s?  Thanks 

DSC_0572-980x551.JPG

I've got an LED light bar under the front edge of the roof rack and it doesn't reflect on the bonnet although it is a dark colour which may help.

It is however distracting in fog/snow/rain because the bar illuminates drops of rain just before they kit the screen but LED headlights seem fine being mounted further forward.

It may be worth checking the legalities of forward facing lights and E-marking if you are going to be using them on the road. There used to be a certain rule about forward facing lights not being allowed to be used if they were mounted rearward of the front wheels or something along those lines.

Cool, thanks very much. Wondering how the big rigs get away with all those serious beams up high?  I guess if nobody is there to be dazzled, then it's not harming anyone. I have experience with rally cars in that too much light, in particular reflective Road signs can reflect back at the driver, defeating the object. My rearward facing lights are wired to the reverse light button, but I also have a isolator switch to stop this happening when I don't want them, usually when shooting fox at night, or asda car park. But, good lighting at the back of a 4x4 can be invaluable, especially off road. You might imagine why 

• 2 weeks later...

Using roof mounted lights on public road on a Land Rover (other than a Forward Control) is illegal, but is obviously fine on private roads that do not have public access (private roads with public access like car parks, roads and driveways on theme park or country park grounds and such like are subject to the normal laws).  As mentioned above, the regs are to do with position relative to the front axle, not the height, but dazzling other drivers on the road would still be illegal even with correctly sited lights - they have to meet pattern and wattage regs too.

I mounted four lights on the front of my roof rack, immediately above the windscreen, for use off road, but they were a disaster.  The reflected light from the bonnet - ivory white - totally defeated their use.  When I replaced the roof rack with one that only came to the rear of the sloping cab roof they were wonderful.  Basically, you need to ensure that the bonnet, if a light colour, does not receive direct illumination from the above screen lights.  A matte-black bonnet would probably have been OK with the original roof rack.  Of course, all the legal issues mentioned above would apply.

Mike

It's simple: Just be sure that the bonnet is not illuminated (whatever colour your bonnet is): Mounting the lights a bit backwards on the roof or make a screen to get the same result.

You can find examples when you google on safari rally cars. These are mounted mainly on the base of the A-style but you get the idea.

And regarding the use of extra lights: all is ok when you are not on the open road. (Those trucks loaded with lights like a Christmas tree al use only the 5w/low power bulps which is ok, but never the hi power bulps (55w-200w) other than flashing). 

Edited by Carloz

• 5 months later...

I have a 50" LED bar above my windscreen that has a combination spread (spread/spot/spread)  and this doesn't reflect or bounce off my bonnet......

You can get e marked driving LED's, try Wilderness lighting, great products, unlike the cheap LED's these days these CREE's are A grade and the bar itself doesn't weigh a tonne, which most the cheap fleabay options do and isn't often considered.

Hope this helps. Post some pics once you've made your decision and fitted.

I had a 42" light bar on my 90, it didn't suffer from reflections off the bonnet, but you probably wouldn't want to use it when snowing or similar...

I've still got the one that came off my old 90 from the group buy on here a while back, along with a custom made low profile roof bar. I doubt I'll ever fit it to the 110. Drop me a PM if you are interested...