Newbie looking for some advice

jporover

Newbie here needing some advice on an 85 Range Rover.

I am going to look at an 85 Range Rover and hate to admit that I know little to nothing about the year/model so thought I would check here to see if anyone would be kind enough to take a few minutes and tell me what I should look for.

The Rover is an 85 and apparently a euro version - at least the owner says he thinks it is because they didn't start importing them until 86? Also the MPH/odometer gauges are in kilos. Not sure if that is true or even matters but parts could be a little hard to find if it is.

It has an auto transmission, V8 with carb (or carbs?). From his description, it sounds like a project vehicle which doesn't bother me. I have restored old BMW's and old GM square bodied diesel trucks so mechanically, I am not worried. I just don't know how hard or expensive parts would be nor do I know the common weak points for the model/year. Needless to say, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

^^^^^. 

A classic of that age doesn't have much in the way of electronics to go wrong.

Mine's a 1986. It's an EFi (fuel injected) & apart from that there is nothing else electronically complicated on it. The suspension is coil springs. The seat are manually adjusted.

Mine doesn't have aircon. Does have central locking, but it's key in the driver's door lock operated not by remote.

Mine's an automatic - ZF gearbox - and gear selection is by cable so no electronics. The autos immediately prior to the ZF (approx 1983 on - as in the link) were the Chrysler 3 speed which has the reputation of being virtually bombproof - no electronics. Transfer box is the LT230 - no electronic controls - & you need the seller to show you that it works. Many are never used so the linkage can stick. Usually easy to free off.

Major issue is corrosion. Whilst the outer panels - excluding the bonnet & upper & lower tailgates - are Birmabright all the panels you can't see are steel so a thorough inspection of sills, floors, inner wings etc & the chassis is advised.

I'd suggest trying to find someone who knows what they're looking at to go with you if possible.

This USA site covers many of the common issues, but bear in mind the majority are to do with electronic stuff so aren't relevant to the earlier ones: http://www.rangerovers.net/fixindex.html 

Edited by paintman

It must be one of those "grey market" vehicles someone was importing way back then. I can't remember much about them, just that they were referred to in LRO a few times. This one might have had some catalytic converters added to get it registered, but maybe not. If it's a three speed auto, then it's actually the transmission from an International Harvester Scout. Land Rover bought up a pile of transmissions back then, for some reason. 

The biggest thing to look at is rust.  They have an aluminum skin over a steel body structure and a steel chassis.  They can look fine on the surface, but when you look at the steel parts, they are all gone.

The mechanical side is very simple and parts are very cheap.  You probably are better to head to a US based forum for more local advice.

Thanks to everyone for the help/advice. 

I did check out the other "state-side" forums but no one really knows anything about the earlier versions as they just don't exist over here. 

Out of curiosity, do all the body panels swap over between the earlier series RR's? The body is pretty beat up, to the point it would be easier to just switch out the doors and fenders. I know where a 94 model is and the body is good on it - would they simply bolt straight up?

• 2 months later...

Of course the entire body from a '94 car would fit on an '85 chassis with only a little modification.  I have seen cars where the later doors are fitted, you need to cut the A and B posts out as these are different, then the doors, front wings and deck panel (below windscreen) are all changed together.  Not for the faint-hearted!