A new rival to the Defender?

Troll Hunter

I'm surprised that this hasn't featured on the forum yet, or have I missed it?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/13/chemical-giant-ineos-to-build-heir-to-the-land-rover-defender

It'll take an awful lot to roll back the Toyota et al shares of the 4x4 market, as LR has already found.  I'll be watching this development with interest.

Mike

• 9 months later...

This still seems to be a live project.  I see that they've just recruited a head of HR from Tesla, and seem to be setting up a fabrication/construction site in Germany, but no news yet of actual design details, although there is mention on their web site of publication of details of the engines being considered in November 2017.  I await this with interest.

Mike

On 11/26/2017 at 7:00 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

And yet when Land Rover are supposed to be building the "modern heir to the Defender" everyone is convinced they'll ruin it :hysterical:

No chance of that. They'll never get around to building it! :hysterical:

(Or distributing it, or advertising it, or building a support network . . . okay, I'll stop now.) 

Given the speed at which JLR is churning out new luxury models I see no excuse for Defender II taking this long to arrive. Oh except for a general lack of interest by JLR maybe 😉 #williteverhappen

With so much focus from all marques for eco-ness, whatever that really is, hybrid electric witchcraft etc I struggle to see that an Defender replacement won't be radically different from what we know.

Good luck to Projekt Grenadier

I rather hope Grenadier sees the light of day. I don't believe "Defender 2" exists at all, as I've said numerous times on here, and if it does, based on what they've done lately in ruining all the other vehicles it will be another stupid melted-bar-of-soap-mobile designed for pimpmobile markets anyway. I've now seen the D5 in the flesh a few times and as a three-time Discovery owner, my god just No.

Yawn, who even cares about the new Defender or its potential rivals?

As far as the replacements go, genuine or pattern :

It might have a heater that works.

It might have doors that seal.

It might even be able to keep up on the Autobahn.

It won't have a soul.

It'll just be another piece of life-limited tat like the rest of their range or an expensive pretender to the throne.

IF the new Defender does exist, IF, the best thing I can suggest is for McGovern to stick it straight back up his creative bumhole. 

I can say this, safe in the knowledge that no matter how good or gorgeous it is I won't be able to afford to buy one, so I'll be able to maintain my principles.  😉

Mo

• Haha 3

Indeed I have Davo and I'm unapologetic for that 😊 I have no enthusiasm for anything else.

I do, in fact, eagerly anticipate the new model, if there will be one, because it will lure the ''lifestylers'' away from our beloved leaky, unreliable meccano kits to a new highly priced bland characterless euro SUV with a Land Rover badge and so bring the prices of the traditional Land Rover utility back within reach of us mere mortals.

Thus in a complete volte-face, the arrival of the Defender replacement can only be a good thing 😆

Mo (an unashamed intolerant luddite and utility Land Rover fascist 😇)

• Like 1