Steering getting slowly tighter.

I cannot be sure but I am convinced my steering has been getting progressively tighter/stiffer over the past year or so. Today I thought I would begin investigations. So I have dropped the drag link and track rod to eliminate anything in the swivels and all is sweet and free in that department. I also removed one end of the steering damper and that made no difference to feel either. Without the drag link and damper connected the steering felt exactly the same regardless of whether the engine was running or not. So I am left with a couple of potentials. 

1. Maybe a weak pump? No idea if this is a thing. Fluid is fine and clean.
2. Box is seizing up? Maybe, lets hope not.
3. UJs on the column are failing? Maybe, but in the past I have had them go lumpy but not consistently tight in all positions
4. Steering column bearings? I assume there is one or more bearings in the column itself which may be failing
5. Something I haven't thought of??

So which one does the collective think it is most likely to be based on experience. Guess my next test is to knock off the UJs which is a hateful job.

300 tdi 110 with 4 bolt box and 1983 steering column

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

I've had both notchy and just tight all round.

Mike

Me too, bathe in WD40 until you can get them changed out.

I also had a strange issue that my tack bar started to catch on the bracket under the diff caused some weird feeling steering for a while until I straightened it out.