X-Eng Pedal Lock Upgrade

=jon=

From the article, you need to take a pic of the unit along with the first 3 digits of your reg number and mail it in to Foundry - no other info is needed... They've said that this applies to all sales models (direct from Foundry, from Si or from Paddock..).

Steve also posted this today:

Hi Guys, it has been brought to my attention by customer that there may be another potential weakness in the design of our X-Eng pedal lock. In the interests of transparency and so you can prepare for it I think it is prudent that I make you aware. The customer has stated that if you use a suitable drift and a set of mole grips it is possible to remove the top hinge pin from the pedal lock. It does necessitate removing the door stay to allow you to do it, and he stated that o

n his first attempt it took him 20 minutes to achieve, but now with practice he has got this time down to 2 minutes. The customer has suggested welding the end of the pin to the formed hinge.

This method of attack is something that was considered when the pedal lock was designed. However, this is not something that you can do silently (i.e. hitting a drift with a hammer) and it takes in excess of 2 minutes even with practice to achieve and requires specific tools.

If customers are particularly concerned by this there is an easy fix for this. If you squash the end of the top hinge nearest the door pillar with a hammer, or peen over the metal, this will effectively make it very difficult to drift the pin in any direction and. We will post up a video tomorrow to show you exactly what we mean. In an effort to address this concern we will squash the hinge end of all future pedal locks.

We would always recommend using a layered approach to security. If the criminal has to waste 2 minutes taking a device out, then another 2 minutes taking another device out and so on and so forth they will either make that much noise they will be discovered or they will hopefully simply give up.

Virtually every security product on the market can be defeated with either the correct tools or enough time. We have never made bold claims that our products are invincible. We hope that they either provide a visible deterrent or are able to slow down the thief long enough that they are caught in the act or give up and move on.

Regards
Steve

It's something a couple of people on here commented to me about over the years - but like Steve says, it's noisy and takes a long time.  To be honest, you might as well just use a disk cutter if you are prepared to spend time hitting it with a hammer.

Si