RV8 Thermal Gasket

need4speed

Can't find that gasket on LRCat.

Didn't find a gasket or spacer on mine (1986 EFi) when I had the ram housing off & the LR manual that covers mine (It's the big book, not the RAVE which doesn't cover mine) just says to use Hylomar between the housing & the inlet manifold.

So I'm assuming it's a mod for some reason or other - I've seen articles where shortening the trumpets is supposed to do something so perhaps this is in a similar vein?

Edited by paintman

Yeah I am sure it's aftermarket also, half of that kit I posted above.

Hylomar both sides if you want to re use it, if not just omit, and use hylomar.

There's nothing I can think of that would mean you would need to space it by that small an amount.

Bit more on shortening trumpets & also mentions the insulating plate you have.

http://www.g33.co.uk/tuning.htm (Ginetta G33)

"The Range Rover inlet manifold throttle body has a hot water preheat fed from the water pump. Although you might need this in sub zero temperatures, its really not needed in the G33. At low temperatures the manifold is heated to prevent fuel condensing in the inlet tract,  but it also has the adverse effect of heating the air and reducing its density. You may have noticed the car performing well on cold damp morning, and the colder air is the reason for this. The simplest thing to do is simply disconnect the two pipes that provide the preheat just under the butterfly valve in the Plenum chamber. The pipe can then simply be looped between the water pump and inlet manifold take off points.

Another modification involves fitting a thermally insulating plate between the inlet manifold and the trumpet base and are commercially available form some V8 tuners for around £50. This prevents the heat from the engine traveling up into the plenum chamber, and I have seen figures quoted of an extra 10 BHP when the engine is hot. There is a problem with the G33, that the insulation plates raise the plenum chamber by up to 10mm, and this means it wont fit under the bonnet !   The aftermarket plates are made of Tufnell. Blank sheets available on Ebay for a few pounds."

The websites I've looked at which talk about trumpet shortening advise taking the same amount off each trumpet so the relative difference in lengths are maintained.

ETA. Link talks about Tufnell, appears to be a spelling error & should be Tufnol

Edited by paintman

Yes yes you two. Keep up the p!ss taking ;)

I only got it because it was recommended to me at the time. In fact it was someone on here that recommended it. Oh yes it was mr noisy! Remember him?

And yes Pete the rest of the Hotwire system cost £40 lol