300tdi intermittent loss of power/stall

L19MUD

The vehicle in question is a 110 that was previously a 200tdi but now a 300tdi (fitted prior to my ownership), but I suspect this could affect any Tdi hence in International.

The truck runs fine with full power most of the time, and then will suddenly lose all power and even get to the point it stalls. If stood for a few minutes it will then run fine again in most cases. I did 30 trouble free miles in it at the weekend, and then in two 1.5 mile trips it did it to me twice.

Problem first occurred last weekend and I changed the fuel filter in case it was blocked., this has made no difference

I have a new lift pump on order and intend to fit it and blow through all the fuel lines this weekend. Is there anything else I should be doing/checking?

Is really odd as its 100% fine most of the time

Thanks

Sam

Had similar probs with my 300, tried all sorts. Run well for ages and then just petter out at the most inconvienient time! Turned out to be a piece of silicone sealant in tank lifting to pick up pipe restricting fuel, after left for a while would slip back into tank until next time it decided to ruin my day. (after further investigation some clown had put sealant round rubber seal for pick up?) Not saying this is the case, but maybe blow pipes back then drain tank, I had to drain mine a few time til I got the blighter! Hope this helps but may eliminate tank side of things?

Kev

Unless the electric solenoid has intermittent problems, you describe fuel line blockage...

We had a similar problem with the 110 after a long trip this Summer it just died doing 75 on the motorway... Would hardly tick over.. Replaced all filters and fuel lift pump, etc.but no success,

Eventually got it home and put some serious air pressure through the fuel lines, effectively emptying the fuel tank in the process.... Serious high  fountain of diesel to be seen from the fuel filler but no more problems afterwards.. 

I must stress that doing this does have its risks - esp. from her LadyShip who was not impressed by the large quantity of dumped diesel on the grass.....

Bon Courage !

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

Annoyingly it is now completely full of diesel!

Mine would conk out at any level, But yes I had to drain mine on 2 occasions whilst full. I drained mine into clean/white 20ltr buckets and let settle, filtered it through some fine material and refilled it. I had to do this a few times until I found fault as I had exhausted all other suspect components. I was that frustrated I was just about to buy a new tank! If there is something in there it may not come out first time.

Kev

PS just remembered, once found a rag in the tank of a 200tdi 110 hi cap, It had had rear body off to carryout some chassis work and i am in belief they blocked filler neck with rag and maybe forgot about it or it fell in??? either way found that by jacking vehicle up on opposite side of filler and fishing about inside tank with a hooked length of metal rod through pick up hole! Just something to think about?

Also, has it a delphi lift pump that the top cover is held by a screw? if so there should be a gauze filter in there?????

Edited by kevh
additional info

Not a LR, but we had a Transit that kept doing this. Turned out to be a small sliver of rubber still attached internally in a fuel pipe, torn where it had been fitted to a joint. Blowing through only effected a temporary cure.

Hi everyone

I am pretty confident I have found the problem, fuel lines blown through, lift pump changes and intercooler hoses checked. The lift pump was totally knackered when operated by hand off the truck!

I also discovered that whoever changed it from a 200 to 300tdi decided to plumb the lift pump in before the fuel filter! That's all now corrected too.

Few pictures of the old girl

WP_20170225_15_21_00_Procompressed.jpg

The lift pump should be before the filter.  By having it after the filter, you are more likely to suffer fuel starvation because the maximum theoretical pressure on the fuel passing through the filter would be 14psi (atmospheric pressure in the fuel tank pushing the fuel), but in reality would be much less than that, whereas the pressure from the pump pushing the fuel through would be many times more.

• 5 months later...

A variation of this problem has now occurred...

On one journey (whilst towing a 2 ton digger) the truck lost power and the gained power really suddenly giving a very harsh driveline jolt. Initially I though it had jumped in and out of gear. It did this twice on that journey.

I then drove it again, still with the digger on and it ran erratically and kept dropping power then going normal again.

Gave it a check over and noticed the fuel filter needed a tighten. It then drove for 5 miles with no issues.

Drove it another 2 miles and it was barely drivable, power on and off like hitting a switch making the truck kangaroo down the road.

It now barely starts

I have not had time to start digging around but the sudden on/off sounds like a failing stop solenoid to me? Has anyone else experienced this types of symptoms when one fails?

Hi I have had the same problem and had tryed all the things you have after about two years I found a loose connection on the stop solenoid i took out the plunger no more problem i fixed it with a new connector on the wire

As a test you can undo the stop solenoid and remove the plunger then refit it. If it still won't run it rules out the solenoid and any wiring issues. 

As said before have you looked inside the lift pump if it is a Delphi one? The lid is keyed and will only fit in one position if it is a Delphi, otherwise it sucks air.

Thanks for the info - I didn't know you could remove the plunger on the stop solenoid. I will do that tonight and hopefully that will resolve my issue and prove where the fault it. It feels like this is my problem as the sudden jolt is like the engine turning off then on again.

The pump is brand new and yes it is a Delphi. I am happy it is fitted correctly (it is a brand new one fitted when diagnosing the first problem). The truck ran perfectly for a few months after the lift pump was replaced and the fuel filter plumbed in after the lift pump. This appears to be an unrelated issue to the first one.

Will report back on findings

Thanks

Sam

Reading back through my previous posts I realised that I had said the lift pump had been plumbed in by the previous owner before the filter....I got that the wrong way round. The PO had plumbed it in Tank - Filter - Lift Pump  - FIP. When I changed the lift pump I re routed it to the correct way of Tank - Lift Pump - Filter - FIP