freelander di wheel bearing sound from the front

littlelandie

hi there,i have a freelander 50th diesel just covered 100k,when driving above 30mph it sounds like the front wheel bearings are failing, the sound doesn't increase with speed just stays the same,have jacked the front up to check wheel bearings they seem fine both spin smoothly with no noise, is this the ird going, I have removed the complete prop and vcu and this makes no difference , your thoughts would be appreciated

It's unlikely that both wheel bearings have gone at the same time and you can't always tell by jacking the car up as there is no weight on the wheel.  Have you tried going around a corner and seeing if the sound is worse?  If it was a wheel bearing it would be worse going around a corner when loaded ie on the outside of the bend.  

Also check for brakes binding (are they hot after a run along a straight road, check handbrake too.   What happens if you go over 30mph and put car in neutral, is it engine speed dependent etc.  

hi there,putting it in neutral makes no difference to the noise,going around left or right hand bends does not make it louder,at approx. 25mph it starts to grumble then between 30 to 60 mph it sounds like wheel bearing failure at the front of the vehicle,you cant pick out a certain side but its definatley the front,

I had a similar problem, sounded like the near side wheel bearing. Turned out to be the prop bearings, £300 job done. Every job on the Freelander costs £300, next will be your wiper linkage!!

edited to add I've just noticed you removed the prop shaft. Back to the drawing board then!

Edited by Glenlivet