Gear ratios

Cornish Rattler

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:22 AM, Snagger said:

The diff swap is the cheap option, using the easily available second hand units that exchange hands for £50 or less (each).  HRTC is better because it gives about 32% rather than 35% increase to high range, a more manageable rise, but leaves low range unaffected and also doesn't screw up the speedo like the diff swap does.  It's a pretty modest price, too.  Overdrives are blindingly expensive new, and second hand often have faults or missing parts, but they do give far greater flexibility, being instantly selectable.  Behind a Tdi or V8, any single one of the above still leaves you under geared on the motorway, but the same can be said (to a lesser degree) of Defenders, Discovery's and RRCs.  The only two you can't mix are the HRTC and overdrive, but HRTC and taller diffs would be hopeless for acceleration and would likely break the gear box in the same way as taller diffs and overdrive in third gear did mine.

Depending on your other modifications and how eager you are to maintain your VIN (important if you have reached tax exemption status), then fitting a later transmission with 3.54 may give you better flexibilty and also robustness, with the benefit of much quieter driving.  Ed Parrott did a really good job retaining the existing tunnels and seat base (most retrofit early Defender panels) and the red and yellow levers.

I see, think I will go with the setup I have for now but try and get a HRTC later as it makes more sense :)