Defender 300tdi cruise control

Hi all,

Can't seem to find a recent enough thread on this to know what's possible....

I have a 97 defender 300tdi with a TD5 binnacle (and gauges) and was wondering what's possible regards fitting a cruise control kit - before I delve into the world of after market kits I wanted to know for sure that I couldn't make a cruise control kit from a TD5 work? Am I right in thinking that it relies on an ECU or can it be made to work without?

cheers

Cruise control on a Td5 is entirely integral to the engine ECU with it's electronically controlled fuel injection.

So far as I know the 300tdi is purely a mechanical injection pump system, so I'm afraid you'll be out of luck on the Td5 route.

• Like 1

I had a VDO Tempomat in the RRC with the Mazda.

Not cheap but very, very good.

Interested to hear about the " Waeco kit " as I again will need to fit one to a 300 Tdi..

Tdi needs something with a cable to move the lever on the pump.

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 1

Chap at bridgwater seemed well informed when I enquired about defenders.

Regards using carling switches instead of stalks he told me:

"The AP500 system has the ability to 'learn' different switches if they are resistive. If the switches have 1 wire per switch, it may not be possible. If you decided to use another switch, we recommend that you purchase a CM35, set the system up and test it using the CM35 and then try the other control. If all is well, return the CM35 to us for a credit. It is possible to use individual switches but you would probably need additional electronics to interface with the AP500 control unit".

Any electronic pros fancy explaining how that might work?

Edited by yourekiddingright