freelander 50th bearing type drone from the front

littlelandie

hi there I have removed my prop and vcu,but I still get a bearing type drone from the front,it sounds like a wheel bearing but the ususal checks for wheel  bearings say they are ok the noise gets very noticeable above above 25-30mph it doesn't change when you steer from left to right it just stays the same,is this an ird problem,any thoughts

It might sound a bit obvious but as it is speed related, have you checked the tyres?  I have a Freelander 2 and had a rear end noise which sounded like a wheel bearing but turned out to be the tyres.  Some tyres when they get low (especially Wranglers) can exhibit this effect.  On the 1st gen FL1 there was well known problem with "castellation" especially on the rear ones which resulted in noisy tyres, this was caused by the fact that the rear diff ratio was slightly different to the front so as to keep the drive train "tight" (the VCU allowed some slippage) .  When BMW took over they altered the rear diff ratio to reduce the effect on the gen 2 TD4 version of the FL1 but did not completely fix it.  It might be worth swapping front to back to see if this is your problem.