Which clutch kit?

DC_

Evening gang,  so the rear crankshaft seal seems to be perishing on my Landy, after 650km trip to glencoe the oil (defo oil) from the bellhousing was all over the front crossmember. So, me and the mate have decided to get it done before our next trip out to skye in may. 

Ive been reading the tech archives and seen Les Henson used a borg and beck clutch kit. But I have also read, Valero are good?

which kit would you use? 

It's ts for a 2.5 n/a into the LT77 gearbox. 

Aslo is there a part number for both? Or a search should bring it up? 

Thanks folks !!

you can fit the 130 heavy duty clutch plate & cover as used on the 2.5TD & both 200 & 300tdi engines, I did my 110's clutch recently & posted the part numbers,

you will need release bearing FTC5200.

brand new Valeo 130 heavy duty clutch friction plate UQB000130 & cover URB100760 

• Like 1

I've got a Valeo clutch kit fitted to my 110. I've just searched for it on LRSeries and this one has come up - doesn't look like a bad price to me:

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/12598/STC8358BB-CLUTCH-KIT-2-5-NA-TD-200-300-TDI.html?search=STC8358&page=1

Regarding that oil seal - I made the mistake once of using a none genuine one. The engine was back out the following weekend to fit a genuine seal:angry2:

• Like 1

Good point! I've got the standard Valeo 19/110 kit fitted to my 19J and also when I had a 300Tdi installed, I don't do much towing I just use my 110 as a van really with just occasional towing and touch wood, never had any clutch problems. Maybe you need something a bit more substantial if you are pulling heavy loads all the time or spend a lot of time off road?

Thanks for the comments guys, again, I don't know why I'm not getting email notifications ?

Ok so, Ralph are those parts numbers for all the HD parts? Would it be best to also put on a HD fork? If it's going to last longer  I'd rather go HD.

I'll make sure I get a genuine seal too. 

That link for the kit, is there an HD kit? as Ralph suggests the plate is different. 

I'll see if I can tweak these settings and get emails now ?

3 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

I'm puzzled why Mike would need a 130 clutch for his 2 1/2 NA. It's not as though it's a power or torque monster is it ?

Could someone explain it to me ?

Mo

Can someone explain it to me as  well, I have the 2.5na (power and torque monster) don't know how old the clutch is but doesn't seem like it is going to need a new one anytime soon.

But the important thing is what is the price difference between a standard Valeo clutch and a HD. one?

17 minutes ago, Kevm said:

Can someone explain it to me as  well, I have the 2.5na (power and torque monster) don't know how old the clutch is but doesn't seem like it is going to need a new one anytime soon.

But the important thing is what is the price difference between a standard Valeo clutch and a HD. one?

About 20 quid.

It's a case of "what holds a lot holds a little".  There appears to be no downside, except for the extra 20 quid, and the HD fork ensures no future fork failure with the longer lasting clutch plate.  And since it's just the same labour to replace with 130/HD components it's a no-brainer to me.

Mike

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DC_ said:

Thanks for the comments guys, again, I don't know why I'm not getting email notifications ?

Ok so, Ralph are those parts numbers for all the HD parts? Would it be best to also put on a HD fork? If it's going to last longer  I'd rather go HD.

I'll make sure I get a genuine seal too. 

That link for the kit, is there an HD kit? as Ralph suggests the plate is different. 

I'll see if I can tweak these settings and get emails now ?

the friction plate is for the 8 damper spring 130 clutch, the pressure cover number is the same on 200 & 300tdi engines, used to be FTC575 but now the URB100760 number, which is also the updated part number for the 2.5n/a engine item 14 on page 119 in the 110 parts book http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/2_engine_25P_25D_25TD_p17-167.pdf

friction plate item 15 now http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/94526/0/clutch_plate_2_5d_2_5td_2_300tdi

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'm going for the HD valeo and HD fork. 

Here's a link for dreaded seal, (well two links) for me is majorly over priced ?? And the other if the same quality, decent price?

http://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/err-2532-rear-oil-seal-c2x21124150

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ERR2532

if the dowty seal is the dogs doo da's, I'll get it. 

Yes that'll do nicely DC

Gents regarding the clutch, really, if you want a 130 clutch go ahead and buy one, that's your perogative.

I do however take issue with its recommendation for a vehicle with an engine that will barely challenge a standard clutch plate let alone a 130 clutch plate simply because it's bigger and has more springs so it must be ''better''.

Their use came about on the challenge scene about 10 or 12 years ago when you could still compete well in a standard bodied 90. Tuned Tdi engines being used aggressively off road would get clutch slip and premature wear due the amount of abuse they were getting. The slightly larger 130 clutch plate gave extra friction area which I assume helped matters. I never had these problems but other people did have.

It might only be 20 quid extra but then 20 quid is a lot of money at the end of the month when you haven't got any especially when it's been spent on something that isn't going to give value for money.

Still, there you go, I just don't think something is better if it isn't going to give VFM.

Mo ?

The seal is quite expensive, it depends upon how much you like taking engines out and in again :wacko:

The proper ones come with a plastic collar so that you don't damage the seal when you put it over the crank shaft.

The blue packet would put me off personally for such an important part!

My personaly view on the clutch is the same as Mo. On my 110 with a TD engine, I have a standard Valeo clutch and a genuine oil seal and have no problems. It was the cheap oil seal that gave me problems. So with the money saved with the standard clutch pays for the genuine oil seal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

I'm puzzled why Mike would need a 130 clutch for his 2 1/2 NA. It's not as though it's a power or torque monster is it ?

Could someone explain it to me ?

Mo

I should point out, having just reread my post that I have put Mike instead of DC. 

My bad Mike, it appears I'm questioning your choice of fitted clutch, which I wasn't, rather the recommendation made to DC. My apologies.

Mo

This part number is showing genuine......ERR2532G, that's what paddocks have on offer.the blue packet also put me off. 

So..... turners seal? 

On this truck, I am doing as much as I can to bring it up to a higher standard. Lots of adventures are planned in the years to come. So if the HD parts will make it last longer, that's what I'll go for. If there's no difference, then the valeo normal clutch kit will do. 

I'm only doing the clutch as the engine is coming out. It's the seal that's needs to be sorted first priority.....

DC

Agreed the crank seal from Turners looks pricey, but I'd have complete confidence in anything purchased from them.

As for the clutch, I see no reason for you to need a HD unit. As others have said your 2.5 N/A is not going to destroy a good quality standard item. Even if you towed big trailers the engine just doesn't have the beans to kill a clutch. The quality of the product is far more important than being HD! And the £20 saved buys a large chunk of the seal :)

• Like 1

Appreciate the advice guys, many thanks !

ok, I'll get the turner seal and the standard valeo clutch kit. I hope this helps others in the future. As usual the forum is always there for guidance. 

????