Tow vehicle

Jon W

I'm in the market for a 4x4 tow barge. For my wife towing her horse about, so I'm open to suggestions.

i currently have a Td5 disco which has terminal rot so will be sold or broken for parts as it has some good off road goodies on. 

No it was going to be an off road toy and tow vehicle, but I think it will be predominately used to tow and I will use my series for greenlaning etc.

I would like another discovery but the all seem to be in a similar state especially in my price range. 

This will be a 4th vehicle as we both have company cars and I have a series to play on, so it is only going to do low mileage so fuel economy isn't a big issue and  will sit on the drive most of the week.

So have thought about Range Rover p38. But are they as bad as everyone makes out? I can spanner but not so keen on electrics.

freelander? This will be capable of towing the 1 horse in the box, if she needs to take 2 horses she can borrow her dads disco 3. So a freelander could most of what we want it too.

Not too keen on using the series for towing as it a bit more difficult for her to drive etc.

open to ideas of other makes, please discuss

Thanks 

Jon 

P38s tow really nicely in my experience. Electrics can be a problem, but the difference now compared to 5 years ago is that the information and tools are certainly out there, and accessible.

A nice V8 P38 would fit the bill I would say.

I wouldn't want a freelander for towing close to its limit, and a P38 will cost you about the same, and yet do everything you want...

We have just moved away from a trailer to a truck to move the horses around, so I'm not completely unbiased..

I' d not choose a LR product.

We towed with about anything and apart from the VX and a F750 (5th wheel - 9 horses : very nice rig) I would not bother.

But as this is a LR forum : D3

12 hours ago, Arjan said:

We have just moved away from a trailer to a truck to move the horses around, so I'm not completely unbiased..

I' d not choose a LR product.

We towed with about anything and apart from the VX and a F750 (5th wheel - 9 horses : very nice rig) I would not bother.

But as this is a LR forum : D3

Sound nice but £2k budget! Outdoor stop most of that. I know a horse box is £4K+ but buying that new, the ifor wiiliams don't really loose any money over a few years really, and most sell for what people originally paid for them 10 years ago 

Petrol V8 Range Rover? Think you'd struggle for an L322 at that price but appear to be plenty of 4L and 4.6s on Autotrader from a cursory glance.

L322 is a superb tow vehicle based off my 3.6TDV8.

Why not buy my Fautras horse trailer (€ 2750 delivered to Dover -> Solihull route this weekend) so you have more money for a tow vehicle ?

These are better that the IW ones : lighter, rear doors and the horses love them.

Edited by Arjan

Personal plugs aside I can personally vouch for the Vans Fautras horse trailers. Excellent bits of kit, well built, tow well, light and airy, don't rattle like IW's, rubber covered plastic floors so no corrosion and the ones with the stepped rear entry do away with the need for ramps. I've had difficult loaders who were nervous of ramps calmly walk straight into the Fautras we had. Spares are easily obtainable from France and they hold their value equally as well as IW's.

Yes. This one has to full size front doors, too and basically it is a walk through trailer. Many horses transported with it throughout Europe and no problems getting in - or out. The rear doors, often in Holland referred to as "American", make it very simple for the horse : from the ground onto the floor. We have never ever used the small slide out ramp.

Yer the Kia had been looked at as a possibility but I'm not over keen on them but granted it would do the job.

jeep  Cherokee  and grand Cherokee seem cheap but is there a reason to avoid these? Apart from it's a jeep

have you,driven one? there is a reason they where what car tow car of the year for the entire period of the production of the mk1

as for aftersales, i have had 2 warrenty repairs on mine in the last year with no quibbles. now that is not particulary impressive until i tel you its done 190000 miles and is 11 years old.

its comfortable, reliable, well supported, well built and absolutly perfect for towing a ifor 510 with two horses and all their tack.