Fitting a tachometer/RPM gauge to Defender?

I have a 1988 Defender 90 with a 2.5 petrol motor that I would like to add a tachometer/RPM gauge to - I have already purchased the gauge and plan to fit it where the clock is in the dash.  Has anyone ever fit a tachometer to an engine before?  I can figure out how to power it electrically, but I'm not sure how to mechanically connect it to the motor so it reads the correct RPM.

Thanks!

With a diesel its usually the alternator (which isn't a function on earlier Landies). With a petrol it depends on the tacho. Some tachos use a wire from the coil looped around the tacho (forms a single turn), others are a direct connection. 

What instructions came with it?

Cheers

Peter

Do they need to be calibrated to the actual engine? I mean, if they pick up a signal on say the alternator (W terminal) doesn't that mean it shows alternator revs? If it's the coil doesn't that mean four impulses per engine rev?

I might be being dim ?

Can of worms!  If a tacho for a petrol engine that takes a feed from the ignition, then generally all you set up is the number of cylinders.

If you're taking pulses from an alternator it depends on how many pulses/revolution from the alternator and the pulley sizes from the crank pulley to the alternator pulley!

I'd buy a tacho for a petrol engine that is driven off the coil if you could - by far and away the easiest solution!

Cheers

Peter 

The VDO tach I have (unconnected) in the 110 has a setting for being connected to an alternator (as well as #cyls settings) with a calibration pot so you can tune it to read correctly if using the alternator... 

Jeez you guys have headed off into the weeds there, OP did say it's a petrol engine and he's already bought the gauge!

8 hours ago, bnamunds said:

I have a 1988 Defender 90 with a 2.5 petrol motor that I would like to add a tachometer/RPM gauge to - I have already purchased the gauge and plan to fit it where the clock is in the dash.  Has anyone ever fit a tachometer to an engine before?  I can figure out how to power it electrically, but I'm not sure how to mechanically connect it to the motor so it reads the correct RPM.

Thanks!

To answer the original question, albeit with another question: A tacho is usually electrically triggered from the points-side connection of the ignition coil, so it's just counting pulses-per-second. They usually have a little switch to select how many cylinders your engine has, so it knows that number of pulses equals one rev, easy!

Mmechanically connected ones would be very old or very rare. What tacho do you have (make / model / any markings)? Can you post a picture?

To be fair he said  I can figure out how to power it electrically, but I'm not sure how to mechanically connect it to the motor so it reads the correct RPM

I read that as "I can get power to it but don't know how to get a signal to it" and it was that that got me wondering about calibrating (assuming it's electrical input of course).

:)