Time for coil spring conversion?

NeilF

20 minutes ago, Snagger said:

If it stays up for days but drops quickly in use, then I can't imagine it being the valve block.  I can imagine perished air bags leaking as the flex while driving, but I think an electronic control issue commanding a lowering is more likely.

This was the way I was thinking, but I have no idea how to approach this side of things

simply mix up a strong solution of Fairy (or other proprietary brand) washing up liquid, in a small hand sprayer - like you mist your houseplants with. The get the system pumped up. Then work round the bags, air lines and sundry components with the soapy water spray , looking for bubbles

As Dave says, soapy water shows air leaks as bubbles.  Rocking the car while you stay underneath (ideally on a 4-post lift, but on the ground use some blocks or stands to prevent the chassis lowering to a point that could harm you) will simulate driving, the rougher the better.

I suspect the ride height sensors or their wiring, or a fault within the ECU.  As both sides are behaving the same, I'd be looking for something with shared voltage feed or earth, affecting the ECU's interpretation of both height sensors.  If the sensors have a live feed and earth via the ECU, then I'd look at that feed.  I suspect the feed will be at a lower voltage and inside the ECU, but I'm sure you see the logic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, honitonhobbit said:

simply mix up a strong solution of Fairy (or other proprietary brand) washing up liquid, in a small hand sprayer - like you mist your houseplants with. The get the system pumped up. Then work round the bags, air lines and sundry components with the soapy water spray , looking for bubbles

Well, I owe you an apology for not heeding your advice sooner.

I went back and sprayed with soapy water. Nothing. Then I jumped up and down on the back bumper and lo and behold! bubbles from one spring. So I'll buy a pair to replace both.

Still not sure why both sides go down though?

Re the sudden let down, I experienced a very similar problem with a friend's disco 2. It was I think the wiring to one of the sensors was faulty - the wires had been badly repaired following chassis welding damaging the left side. You can get kits to do it (the one we used was labelled disco 3) ; and the kit is basically a new plug on a length of wires with joining terminals. It seemed to affect both sides.

Re the coil arguments, Microcat lists rear coil springs for 7 seat disco 2s (granted it may not have been type approved) , RKB000340/350, so they must be used somewhere.

Well, I've had the new air bags in a week and not a sign of a sag. They inflated as good as gold, too. Thanks to all the contributors and just to re-iterate what the more knowledgable on here have said: even when you're sure it's not the bags, it's probably the bags.....:)

Edited by NeilF
  • Like 1