daveturnbull

FFS not again.....

60 posts in this topic

DSC_1795-864x1536.thumb.JPG.e39b8d74990a1dd75e7de3972e3e578a.JPGDSC_1796-864x1536.thumb.JPG.6ae34f3b5af758a839aa84dcbb037704.JPGDSC_1797-864x1536.thumb.JPG.7c34a1707e9b4e37cb0998f7530e74a2.JPG

Well the last vice I destroyed was a record no. 4, this one was a Paramo. Proper old skool Sheffield cast.

Only wanted to squish up that girly little bit of pipe in the first pic. I promise I'm really not that strong. Only office muscles at best.

Im1951Benn-Parramore_zps3cd9e76c.jpg.729c16c859cdfaf1664efaf9e6384f76.jpg

Hmm.......

Not good.

Hmm get a Fortis , I won't tell you the terrible things i have done to it... But it involves a very large pole.

11 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Hmm get a Fortis , I won't tell you the terrible things i have done to it... But it involves a very large pole.

Isn't that a bit racist? Dare I ask what the poor fella had done to you?:P

2 people like this

Blimey you don't know your own strength !

I have a old big Record that I have abused terribly but I think I lack your talent 😊

Mo

Poles work well on vices.... :)

You need to buy a hydraulic press and leave the poor vice alone. You can pick up a bench 10 tonne for around £100.

Mike

I think you might be right there Mike. I'll put one on the newbury shopping list. 

Look for a forged rather than cast vice.  You can abuse them for decades and they will not crack.

I bought a 5" Record Engineers Forged vice at a boot sale in about 1995 and god knows, I've tried to break it but it will out last me!

Si

You can't beat a good old record vice, but everything has it's limits. I had a vice break on me and I ended up with 4 stitches in my ankle where the broken bit ended up :) 

Les

On 3/15/2017 at 10:44 PM, simonr said:

Look for a forged rather than cast vice.  You can abuse them for decades and they will not crack.

I bought a 5" Record Engineers Forged vice at a boot sale in about 1995 and god knows, I've tried to break it but it will out last me!

Si

Your vice will be cast steel not forged, the only forged vices tend to be the blacksmith leg vices (Record did make leg vices so you may be talking about one of them).

EDIT: Oh ok there are some German forged and welded vices.

Record make vices from cheap rubbish all the way up to professional and almost indestructible.

If you want something strong from Record try something in the following ranges. (don't buy new unless you lay golden eggs)

No 34 - 36

No 110 - 114

Any Record Leader model vice they are a welded vice and indestructible ;)

Likewise Fortis do similar quality ones to the Record 110 - 114's and whilst looking similar tend to sell for less than the Record ones.

Oh and go for the biggest vice you can get ;)

2 minutes ago, CwazyWabbit said:

Oh and go for the biggest vice you can get ;)

That's a given.

My ideal would be a 114, 36, 25 in that order of preference. I did find a 75 locally which looks really old skool but missed out on it.

Until I find one locally (as they are not really a postable item for sensible money) I'm using a borrowed 23, but strictly not for any pressing duties as I can't be trusted.

This is the one I have, albeit with no paint and much more 'used':

efdebettxd_fortis101_final1.jpg

Not let me down in 20 years. FORTIS cast steel vice.

Oooh look, it's big brother, with a fairly challenging looking word on it: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fortis-Steel-Engineering-Vice-with-Quick-Release-garage-find-classic-car-vw-vgc-/272615742275?hash=item3f792a1b43:g:IuAAAOSwax5YvENO

Not far from you either, I'd be making him an offer to end early...

Funnily enough, I've already got that one in my watch list. If you look at his previous items it's not sold twice at £45. The jaws look a bit rough, and I'm not sure what's going on with the half a bolt stuck out of one of them. Definitely keeping an eye on it tho.

Do you accept the challenge of 'unbreakable'?

41 minutes ago, daveturnbull said:

Funnily enough, I've already got that one in my watch list. If you look at his previous items it's not sold twice at £45. The jaws look a bit rough, and I'm not sure what's going on with the half a bolt stuck out of one of them. Definitely keeping an eye on it tho.

The jaws look like they came off another vice, the half a bolt is just because the person looks to have used any bolts they could find when they replaced the jaws.

Neat feature on that Fortis F4 is they can be adjusted to remove any side to side slop thanks to the sloped sides on the slide and the allen screws.

1 hour ago, daveturnbull said:

That's a given.

My ideal would be a 114, 36, 25 in that order of preference. I did find a 75 locally which looks really old skool but missed out on it.

Until I find one locally (as they are not really a postable item for sensible money) I'm using a borrowed 23, but strictly not for any pressing duties as I can't be trusted.

I'd stay away from the 75, you'll get bored of the lack of quick release fairly quick and the exposed main screw when opened is just inviting a bit of Damaging Dave's attention ;)

Record 112 has the same size jaw as the 36 (6") so is another good choice, I'd not bother with a Record 25 .... I reckon you would break that.

On 15/03/2017 at 9:55 PM, ballcock said:

Isn't that a bit racist? Dare I ask what the poor fella had done to you?:P

Don't ask him about the spade he has locked in the shed

Please tell...

English joke Arjan, it won't translate very well on a public forum 😉

Mo

1 person likes this

So I asked for some dimensions of that fortis vice. Jaws are 4.5", opening 5.5". Not as big as I hoped. Wouldn't be able to change a UJ in that. 

Arjan, a quick look on urbandictionary.com will give you some answers. 

Dave... I have a big old record vice sat on my garage floor I'll happily cobalt to your cause..... I'm working in poole for the next couple of weeks.... pm me.

It'sbeen right royally  abused and could probably use new jaws.. . But works fine . 

Edited by Disco-Ron
Spellchecker got grumpy!