Tyre upgrade for Def 110

I think it depends a lot on the dish depth of your rim, with a deeper dish you push the wheel further out, making the wider tyre not rub on the inside, 

but as Bowie says you will just be throwing MORE mud past your arches.

I do know that 900/16 tyres (255/100r16) are about 36" and they rub on the radius arm.

the 315's are about 33,4"

the standard 235's are about 31,7" 

I'd go with the 285s personally, you will soon get fed up of clearing mud from your windows, mirrors and door locks with the 315s. It's also cheaper in that you don't require extended arches and possibly new wheels.

I know lots of you are saying 315 is massive. But it's no bigger than a 12.50 tyre, which is a pretty common size in some parts of the world.

i.e. a 35.12.50R15

315mm = 12.4"

I suspect you need a 10 inch wide rim for such a tyre however to be 'legal'.

With the two sizes listed by the op, the 315 will be about 1/2" taller and slightly wider. Will probably look quite a bit more chunky.

• Like 1

I agree it is quite wide, but not ultra rare IMO. Lots of the blinged up Defenders round here run tyres of that sort of width it seems.

As for throwing mud up the sides, I agree. Although it's not always as clear cut as you might think. Got some 235/85's that throw way more mud up the side of the vehicle than some 33.11.50's do.

Has anyone here paid attention to the fact that he said he already has oversized arches?  Either size should be fine.  You will most likely need extended bump stops in the rear with the 315s.  Really, even with the 285s.  A lift does not really change clearance.  To properly check clearance, remove a spring and check full compression.

• Like 1

33 12.50 r15 bfgs on my 110. They came on the truck at standard height and fit fine. You will want wheel spacers or a -32 offset rim to retain steering lock

they do throw a bit of mud about. There is usually a nice lump inside the cab where it gets thrown up during footy down time while steering. I like them though. Well behaved on the road and really good Offroad when you air them down a little

IMG_4721.JPG

Thank you all for the post and so much information. Frankly I hardly do serious off roading. Mostly greenlaning here in Bangalore. So the question of throwing mud does not arise. I already have wide wheel arches and also a 30mm wheel spacers. 

I plan to use either 285/75/16 or 315/70/16 on my Zero Offset 16" x 8" Steel Modular wheels. A friend of mine has 285's and they look small on his 90. I cannot keep buying tyres hence I requested all you experience people if 315/75/16 is ok?

90% of the time I will be using the landy on road. 10% is on sundays when I do some green laning. I would prefer the bigger size which is 315 than the 285's but still confused. Does anyone have a picture of their landy with 315/70/16s on it versus 285/75/16s?