OT: Sad day today

5 minutes ago, reb78 said:

All this bickering and unpleasantness is probably a good demonstration of why an OT section isn't of that much benefit!

On the contrary.

The fact that there isn't an appropriate section for the OP to post his thread is the very thing that has caused this "bickering and unpleasantness" as you put it.

26 minutes ago, need4speed said:

On the contrary.

The fact that there isn't an appropriate section for the OP to post his thread is the very thing that has caused this "bickering and unpleasantness" as you put it.

You miss my point. Pick a topic, any topic. 

You agree with what's said, Les disagrees, then we proceed to basically rerun this thread with said topic.  

Anyway. I don't mind. I've said what I think. I think the middle ground we currently have is fine. I'm off to the defender section. 

• Like 1

I don't think any OT section would allow drivel, or arguing, or pettiness. 

The mutual respect given by others on here is unlikely to change, and the post pre-moderation for newbies is excellent at keeping the riff raff out :P

If all we end up with is a technical resource, people will come from google, read, and then disappear. If there is a chance of more we have killed it off, as well as the prospect of building the community (that is after all what it is also supposed to be, I think).

Also, to reb78's point, the problem with this thread was caused by someone being extremely rude to another member, exacerbated by own personal situation. That, even in an OT forum, would not ever be acceptable.

I don't think this thread has been about bickering, at least not the way I have read it.

• Like 4

This is the point I was trying to make in my reply to Les'   post in this thread , put much better . I too have met and got to know some good people through this place and come here every day to catch up with current events in the communities lives with Land Rovers . The respect people have for both each others views and the forum charter is clear to see and is probably why I still come here 11 years after finding it - thanks Petergg

Steve b

• Like 2

To quote John Lydgate: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

A quote from American poet William Carlos Williams: “It is not what you say that matters but the manner in which you say it; there lies the secret of the ages”

Both quotes say it all really.

• Like 2

Sorry all.

Rarely do I say this sort of thing but with my LR4x4 Admin boots on I would ASK that all here have some.compassion for the original poster and drop it.

This thread has had an unpleasant and uncharacteristic viciousness which is not what LR4x4 is about. 

It's an OT thread from a fairly established  member ....and not someone prone to.OT issues.

The subject of a OT forum has been raised more than once..and factually it is not for here.

There was a few years ago an offshoot from LR4x4 that started up a .splinter forum...it sadly died

This is technical.reposotory where we the admin try to keep on track and on the forum charter and rules.No..we will.never get it right for everyone.

If only.

However this spat here does no good for yhe forum.ans as of righy now must please stop.

The A&M Team are not at all.enamered with this current situation and actions are being considered as this situation is not right on this forum

As what actions and to whom and if .and when is subject to A&M discussions.

Please now all.drop this and move on.

No further posts from.any angle would be appreciated as it will not y benefit any members

Nige

On behalf of the LR 4x4 Admin & Moderator team 

• Like 2

Ehem, Nige, not wishing to sound at all argumentative, but your post seems a little OTT, no-one has slung mud at anyone since the first page, and the discussion has moved way over to being pretty constructive. I don't think CR is upset about where the thread has gone... and if anything I have said has caused anyone any offence, I promise it was not the intention.

However, as asked, I'll move on, I do hope that the feedback on this thread has at least made the A&M team think about how things can improve.

Out.

• Like 1

What pete said.

I actually pm'd the OP as I was embarrassed that his thread went south so badly.

If the powers that be decide not to have a dedicated OT section that is fine. I accept that.

However as a caveat maybe allow OT threads in International Section so long as OT is mentioned in title? Just a thought.

21 minutes ago, need4speed said:

What pete said.

I actually pm'd the OP as I was embarrassed that his thread went south so badly.

If the powers that be decide not to have a dedicated OT section that is fine. I accept that.

However as a caveat maybe allow OT threads in International Section so long as OT is mentioned in title? Just a thought.

In reality that is exactly what we do now :)

Well no because previously it was said that only long established members were given some flexibility. And even then it was at A&M discretion.

What I'm suggesting is that even relatively new members can post OT threads so long as it's not obscene drivel etc..

Sorry to be pedantic Nige - it didn't fail. That splinter group prospered until it was sold out by it's founder. Then thanks to strong moderators with excellent technical knowledge and passion it kept it's head above water; until it was knifed in the back by the owners of the magazine that had bought it out.  Not that I'm bitter at all

21 hours ago, mad_pete said:

I'm fine with way OT posts with no benefit to members being posted and then taken down by the admins. 

OT such as a garage build I am fine with staying up.

If every other LR forum has OT section, why not just join them?  You want land rovers and off topic, they have it why not have an account there and use that to post off topic posts to Land Rover minded people ?

what is evil about OT?

www.facebook.com pretty much sums it up for me.

Yeah I have posted similar threads on Land Rover uk forums in their ( Public discussion forum ) and on Landyzone in their ( Anything goes forum ) as most members on the two forums knew that I had a dog and I've not had any problems with the same threads I have posted on them :)

• Like 4