LT77 output seal change

Hi

yes it can 

but collar is a bitch if you ain't got special tools 

check this

I did mine but left the collar in situ. And mine was on bench

i thought about winding the tape round to get over the groove but then read somewhere else to try this

Remove old seal by drilling and tapping a small screw into it. Then use plastic from an old yoghurt pot to wrap around the collar, cut and tape together so there are no overlaps in the plastic. Remove the 'yog pot special tool' from collar. Put your seal on your new 'special tool' without damaging seal and the slide the tool with attached seal onto the collar. Once yog pot tool is over the groove slide seal down  your tool and onto the collar then remove your new "special tool".    Job done 

not wanting to add to your workload but while tbox is out I did my clutch, release  bearing, new hd fork, and rear crank oil seal

worth thinking about while at this stage 

good luck

The reason you make a guide is that there's a possibility that you can damage or reverse the lip of the seal. You can do it by hand, but be careful. If you make a plastic applicator, then be careful as there's a risk that you can over stretch or even split the lip of the seal.

Les.

Seemed to work on mine.. no leaks as yet... at least not from lt77. But would always bow to Les and Westerns superior knowledge. 

Everything else leaks. But I try to look on the positive side of at least I always have fresh oil in everything all the time ?. Wife not as impressed with my part of the drive.

So I'm curious to get some more thoughts on this. The oil levels were correct about 6 months ago when I last had the boxes off. Now, I thought I had a properly sealed set of gearboxes finally, but noticed a drip on the drive (that's what started me off on this thread) coming off of the front bottom bolt of the transfer box plate. What would you folks deduce from this as the cause of the leak (if you can from this info)

Externally, oil is primarily appearing to come down the front face of the transfer box where it meets with the main gearbox. On checking the oils, I had to add a tiny amount of ATF to my overdrive, over 300ml ATF to the LT77 and I drained just over 200ml from the transfer box. The oil drained from the transfer box was not a golden colour, but had a red tint to it. 

What are your thoughts?