raptor bedliner top coats

Tobias Press

Hi 

My 1996 90 is starting to look a bit tired in the paint department. i dont really feel i can justify the cost of a respray as i work the old girl hard and i would feel terrible is i was to beat up a fresh, smart looking paint job. i have found a few images online of landys which have been painted with upols raptor bedliner. personally i think this looks quite good and is potentially hard wearing. however i have a few questions about using it as a top coat so if anyone has experience with this stuff, some advise and opinions would be great. firstly is there any long term effects on the body of using upol rapor? how dose the finish looks after a few years of use? will painting my landy with this stuff effect the value on my car in the long run? and finally how easy is it to get a good quality finish?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a bit off topic 

Edited by Tobias Press

1 hour ago, Tobias Press said:

...sorry if this is a bit off topic...

Pffff! Nearly spat my coffee out there! ?

Back to your query though. I haven't used it myself but I have a friend that has used this stuff on the bed of his pickup. He swears by it. 

He got it professionally applied but it has been hard wearing and looks like a good finish.

I don't think it would have any adverse affects on the bodywork. Might be a bugger to get off if you change your mind.

• Like 1

I've done two 90's with tinted Raptor, one of them over a year ago.

with the tinted stuff, I tipped four bottles into a bucket and mixed them, the tint and the activator together at one time. I used the activator to clean out one of the plastic raptor bottles before adding it because the neat raptor is quite thick.

its very easy to apply, I needed about four litres per vehicle and didn't use it on the bonnet or roof. It doesn't run but you can create some thick spots.

On the first 90, it's surviving really well but there are a couple of areas (back door) where pinholes seem to allowed corrosion to continue from behind and the blisters are getting quite big.

i wouldn't fancy trying to rub it down!

I'm on my phone at the moment, I'll add some photos later.

IMG_6952.JPG

On the latest attempt (the one in my post from earlier, I used an adhesion promoter from Buzzweld under the Raptor to try and help. I suspect those bubbles on the back door are no worse than they would have been with regular paint, as the water is coming through pin holes from the back.

IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_4789.jpg

• Like 1

Fatboy thats exactly the sort of info i was after thanks very much. did u just use the underseal gun to apply it to get that finish and did u do it in a booth? i want to go black so will i need to tint it or just spray it without tint?  thanks again very helpful 

Edited by Tobias Press

Glad to help. For black, just use the standard Raptor and a Schultz gun (under seal).

plain black is much easier as you can mix a canister at a time.. with the tinted, I didn't want to risk different shades so mixed the whole lot in a bucket then decanted it back into the canisters.

Also... bear in mind, once its mixed, it starts to set. I had a litre left and thought it might keep till morning. No, it set like jelly.

unlike Linex, Raptor doesn't get sprayed on hot, it takes a few weeks to really develop the hard finish.