New Series - RR Heavy

Shackleton

@Peaklander, I do get caught up in how quickly I can work if left to my own devices so the photography aspect is like a lesson in mindfulness. I'm becoming more and more aware of how much I'm enjoying being kept in the moment by it. 

@Si, it's high praise coming from you, and fittingly there's a bigger plan in place that this series is the first phase of. I just hope it gets its own legs so I can keep going. Cheers mate.

• Like 1

Just found this and both episodes are excellent, reminds me a little of several of the is born series rolled into one :) Absolutely amazing to think you are doing such a high quality production single handed. Looking forward to episode 3.

• Like 1

:D I was waiting to get slapped for my welding. Don't hold back, I'm actually relying on you guys here who know about these things to keep me in check. The last thing I want is to make an unsafe weld so I took some off cuts, welded them together, then tried to bend/break/hammer/fatigue them. They toughed it out. No they're not pretty but they're deep enough to be strong.

The other factor is the camera work, I had to experiment with how far I could weld before stopping to trigger the camera, and not lose too much heat in the metal. What you just saw is very early days. You'll see all about the welder soon enough, it's gasless and from a budget supermarket.

No worries, did make me laugh ;)

Second on the welding.... Get a gas setup, I know it is money, but you will regret not doing so earlier, when you do.

Also use argoshield, rather than CO2, give much better/cleaner welds in my experience.

So... It will save you time in cleanup (no flux) and less grinding too, which can only be a good thing.

I had an Eclat many years back, i did love it, but had to go as was in a really bad way, sold it to a guy in Aachan, Germany.

Used a pals gas setup and was impressed with it, it's on the list, but it'll be a while. The production will probably make it seem like there's a least some money, there isn't. I'm not even driving. Can't afford to. The welder I took in part exchange for some work I did for a pal. This i why I've only ever been able to donate €5 here btw, the last few years have been lean to say the least.

Well then, it's time to sell your body because fluxcore is really best avoided for most car work. I know this, because due to similar circumstances to yours, (funny that), I did some Rangie bodywork with fluxcore and let's just say that seam sealer certainly helped to cover those welds. Fluxcore can be used with various tricks, but ugh, what a hard way to do things. 

Pardon the sermonising tone, but I'd like to help you to avoid the uphill slog in this respect. I'm onto disposable CO2/argon bottles now, hoarded for when I really need them. 

Doesn't sound sermonising at all Davo, it's all good. I'll go gas when I can and in the meantime ugly welds are fine by me. I have never made it clear but the Vogue is more of a "keep her alive" rather than a restoration. It was that far gone that it'll never be perfect. There has been so much learning already, and I suppose everyone has to have one car that they cut their teeth on so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself.

No worries talking about my camera gear at all, I thought someone might have asked sooner on Youtube. Would love to do a bit on it at some point cause I like my vintage and home made film gear too. Not being evasive about the camera but the brand denied me some very modest help on a previous high profile thing I was involved with so I'll leave it at technical details on that front: it's a 1.6 crop sensor pro-sumer DSLR. I've used it professionally since 2011 when I bought it new. It struggles to deal with the poor light in the unit but it's been worked hard and is probably tired. Each day's labour produces about 500 stills and a hand full of video. (DSLR's have odometers for shutter actuations in the same way car wear is measured in miles).

I've a selection of lenses but have been predominantly using a 17-55 image stabilised zoom with a constant aperture of 2.8. I have two O'Connor Model 30 heads, an unbranded set of wooden legs, both top line ENG gear in the 1970's, and a Miller non fixed hi-hat. There's a great story behind O'Connor and they're top of the pile in professional camera support if you ask me. I have a wireless intervalometer here and left a failing wired one in Greece. There's a simple Ianiro lighting kit of 3x 300W dimmable halogen units and an 800W redhead, ( one 300 is out of service cause I can't afford bulbs :D ). Should I go on? there's a few other cam support items I made myself including a (non motorised) gimbal, and I've the last remaining in a long line of suffering action cameras, which I haven't used in this production yet. Oh and the mic is the cheapest one I could find, a Rode radio lav setup. It works well!

On an artistic front, In many cases I'd love to get a lot closer to the action in the frame but between leaving space to get to the work, and keeping the lens safe from flying matter, many of the shots are dictated by the lie of the land. Hope that's interesting and I didn't just waffle for nothing :)

• Like 1

Very interesting, don't think you waffled at all.

It's always surprising how much gear you need beyond the camera to do a proper job of the filming, also nice to see it doesn't have to be the latest top dollar kit either :) I'd love to see the diy stuff you've made to help. All the lav mics seem to be expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. Using the inbuilt mic would sound rubbish and pick up all the noises from the lens too.

Perhaps this is one situation where a cheap UV filter put on the lens really would be worthwhile protection for some close up work?

The 1.6 crop factor reveals the camera maker ;)

I knew the crop would give it away. I'd love something with greater dynamic range so I wasn't constantly worrying about low light though. In many cases I'd love to be back on proper video cameras, rolling shutter is a pain. You're right, you don't need the best of everything. There's standard def footage in the intro sequence from an old compact camera. It's noticeable once you're watching for it but it was the inspiration for the style of the sequence. It's why the colours are stripped back, and the three panel effect, because much of the footage is 4:3. Theres plenty of phone footage in Ep.02. I started posting behind the scene shots here.

I forgot - the sound recorder is a Tascam 60D MkII. It munches batteries but it's versatile, clever, and it came up second hand at the right time. Another bit of kit I wouldn't be without is a Jag35 "Monitor X". It a 3x magnification full screen viewfinder with a hood that's very handy for run and gun stuff in sunshine. I'll get a snap of the gimbal at some stage, I made it with a wheel bearing from an old Mercedes SEC I shouldn't have sold, the control bar from a kite surfing rig and some skateboard bearings. It's heavy but it works. Thomann are great for audio gear btw, but the day after I ordered the lav mic it went up by €100! Oh and the 17-55 came with a UV filter, a really crappy one too, so that was a bonus :)

Are you going to start a series?

Edited by Shackleton

Thanks for another fascinating episode.  As a one time Lotus Elite Type 14 owner, registration 4 CBD, in case it's still around, I found the interview really intersting, and I'm looking forward to more clips in future episodes.

Mike

• Like 1

Loving the behind the scenes pictures, I would never have guessed that about the garage in EP02! 

I don't have the time to start a youtube series (or a particularly engaging subject matter in mind), but I'd like to know how to do it properly in case I have a blinding flash of inspiration one day :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2017 at 2:00 AM, Shackleton said:

Doesn't sound sermonising at all Davo, it's all good. I'll go gas when I can and in the meantime ugly welds are fine by me. I have never made it clear but the Vogue is more of a "keep her alive" rather than a restoration. It was that far gone that it'll never be perfect. There has been so much learning already, and I suppose everyone has to have one car that they cut their teeth on so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself.

No worries talking about my camera gear at all, I thought someone might have asked sooner on Youtube. Would love to do a bit on it at some point cause I like my vintage and home made film gear too. Not being evasive about the camera but the brand denied me some very modest help on a previous high profile thing I was involved with so I'll leave it at technical details on that front: it's a 1.6 crop sensor pro-sumer DSLR. I've used it professionally since 2011 when I bought it new. It struggles to deal with the poor light in the unit but it's been worked hard and is probably tired. Each day's labour produces about 500 stills and a hand full of video. (DSLR's have odometers for shutter actuations in the same way car wear is measured in miles).

I've a selection of lenses but have been predominantly using a 17-55 image stabilised zoom with a constant aperture of 2.8. I have two O'Connor Model 30 heads, an unbranded set of wooden legs, both top line ENG gear in the 1970's, and a Miller non fixed hi-hat. There's a great story behind O'Connor and they're top of the pile in professional camera support if you ask me. I have a wireless intervalometer here and left a failing wired one in Greece. There's a simple Ianiro lighting kit of 3x 300W dimmable halogen units and an 800W redhead, ( one 300 is out of service cause I can't afford bulbs :D ). Should I go on? there's a few other cam support items I made myself including a (non motorised) gimbal, and I've the last remaining in a long line of suffering action cameras, which I haven't used in this production yet. Oh and the mic is the cheapest one I could find, a Rode radio lav setup. It works well!

On an artistic front, In many cases I'd love to get a lot closer to the action in the frame but between leaving space to get to the work, and keeping the lens safe from flying matter, many of the shots are dictated by the lie of the land. Hope that's interesting and I didn't just waffle for nothing :)

I see, so you must tread the smokey and spattered path so many of us have taken before you, but now that you've explained it, it makes sense. It's the car to get back onto the road, not to make perfect. It's the same with mine, it's only meant to be driven. I have vague fantasies of restoring another Rangie to a regal standard, but that takes more than I've got at the moment. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ye gods, I'm going to be careful what I say from now on because the man in the TV screen can talk back! However, your pathetic middle-aged-man demographic appreciates the scenic cinematography at 9:32; please keep that up. 

I see your welding looks pretty good, so obviously you know what you're doing with that horrible messy carp fluxcore. I've done exactly the same thing out of necessity, including exhaust welding, which actually works quite well. It looks like each weld is really short to keep the heat down, so if you're having trouble with warping then just do short welds well away from each and it helps a bit with thin steel. Beautiful use of CAD technology there. Really, I can't believe the effort you're going to with that wheel arch/pillar/sill thing, you seem to reach new epic heights each time with that Range Rover. 

The Esprit. You have ruined my life by showing me how beautiful they are when I can't just pop out and buy one. Did Hadleigh give you the missing Bond tape? It must have been him who was driving around with it on. 

Also, you need to explain this crazy Irish-Greek car storage thing. Most rebuilds involved a hermit's existence in the one shed, with occasional visits to the outside world for parts, food, and human interaction, (put in the correct order there, by the way). Yet, here you are suddenly announcing a visit to a sort of Site 2! What sort of an international operation is this? 

(P.S. Yer show needs nekkid wimmins.) 

21 minutes ago, Davo said:

(P.S. Yer show needs nekkid wimmins.) 

Not wishing to sound argumentative over here, as well as on the leccy fan thread ;) , but actually, I find it refreshing for it to be without the general smut that is associated with the car scene.

Wheel arch repair does take me back... ugh, horrid thing to do when that badly corroded :)

No argument needed, it was said firmly tongue-in-cheek.

(Said the actress to the bishop.)

Ok i'll stop now. :rolleyes:

I agree, this show is very honest and down-to-earth and you feel like it could be about someone next door. 

Edited by Davo
I'm picky