300tdi fuel cut off

Hi, first post here but have read many and many have helped so thanks for that upfront :) 

i have an an issue with the fuel cut off on my 300tdi. 

10 days ago the engine wouldn't turn off so tested everything & then removed the solenoid and found the rubber part of the plunger had a chunk missing. Ordered new part and fitted and all was well again. 

Today, the same has happened to the new solenoid, a piece missing off the rubber plunger.  It has done approximately 20 miles since the new one was fitted. 

What could be eating the rubber part of the plunger? 

Its an expensive way to turn it off fitting a new solenoid every 20 miles ha. 

IMG_0520.JPG

If you apply 12v to it which way does it go - because it looks like one is in and one is out?

Also what is inside the pump that the rubber bit bears on does it have a sharp edge?

Where have the rubber chunks gone? inside the pump?

I've already asked for a replacement, first thing I did. 

6 hours ago, Kevm said:

If you apply 12v to it which way does it go - because it looks like one is in and one is out?

Also what is inside the pump that the rubber bit bears on does it have a sharp edge?

Where have the rubber chunks gone? inside the pump?

They both go in when 12v applied & there's a little spring to push the plunger back down when you turn off. 

I've had a feel around in the hole and can't feel anything sharp, also put a magnet in to see if any bits came out but there was nothing. 

The second one the rubbers still attached just torn away. 

The first one I assume it's worked its way through/into the pump 

In the picture the newer one looks longer to me. Is it definitely compatible? Just thinking, perhaps old one wear and tear, new one maybe different part is extended too far and got damaged.

Never seen one before so just take it as pure observation based on your pic.

Still don't understand why the old solenoid is out and new one in, the spring should push the piston back out to the engine stop position why hasn't it popped back out in the photo.

Presumably it seats onto a shoulder with the o ring, so should not be overtightened.

As Tim says it could be the wrong solenoid as the ends do look a different length but there must be something sharp inside the pump to be tearing up the rubber tip.

Have a good look inside with a torch.

10 hours ago, timc1967 said:

In the picture the newer one looks longer to me. Is it definitely compatible? Just thinking, perhaps old one wear and tear, new one maybe different part is extended too far and got damaged.

Never seen one before so just take it as pure observation based on your pic.

I did order the correct one for the engine, plus I've not seen any that look any different to the new one. Maybe the design changed since? 

4 hours ago, Kevm said:

Still don't understand why the old solenoid is out and new one in, the spring should push the piston back out to the engine stop position why hasn't it popped back out in the photo.

Presumably it seats onto a shoulder with the o ring, so should not be overtightened.

As Tim says it could be the wrong solenoid as the ends do look a different length but there must be something sharp inside the pump to be tearing up the rubber tip.

Have a good look inside with a torch.

The piston on the new one is pushed in because when I did the picture there wasn't a spring in it as that had decided to make a run for it. 

Ive had a good peer in & felt round with my little finger. Couldn't see or feel anything though. Also the magnet didn't pick up any bits of swarf or anything 

23 hours ago, Kevm said:

So what you going to do, get another one and try again? don't suppose you can do anything else.

Basically yeah. The guy I got the replacement off is sending me out a new one foc. 

If that fails again I will try source one using the Bosch numbers on it. In the hope I can find one with at least the identical plunger. 

I tried Land Rover themselves but as far as they're concerned the 300tdi is now obsolete.