I am looking at a 2001 V8 discovery 2 4.0L with 125k miles on it. Not much history but seems to run well. Have head all about gaskets and slipped liners. So without knowing if the gaskets have been done or any other engine work is it likely to be on borrowed time? Or if it hasn't happen yet is it unlikely to happen if it hasn't happened already? 

Can anything be done to prolong its life? Or is it best to do preventative maintenance and get them change or is it opening a can of worms? 

Also is on lpg

at the end of the day it's a £1600 motor do I just run it until I have problems with it and am I working unesscessarily?

vehicle will be doing a bit of towing if this makes many odds? 

Thanks

Mine was on 155,000 miles and it wasn't the head gasket that ended its life. No idea what had been done previously as I had no history with it. So long as it hasn't boiled and warped the heads the head gasket isn't a huge or expensive job to do. If you can't see signs of oil in water and it's running smoothly I would just take my chances and run it, there's dozens of other things that could go wrong with a car of that age so where do you stop?

Edited by Cynic-al

Overheating is the enemy of the V8, so if you can avoid that by changing all the hoses and so on, that would be the first thing to do. Slipped liners make tapping sounds and if coolant is getting out it will "steam clean" the piston and spark plug, so that is generally the easy way to check. Of course a compression test would be a good idea, too. 

If it's made it this far with no problems then it may well never have an issue.

All the hysteria about slipped liners etc. is exaggerated, anything goes wrong it's blamed on a slipped liner because "they all do that", even if it's a £5 fix like a blocked rad or stuck thermostat. Same with Freelander head gaskets.

Buy it, keep an eye on the coolant and enjoy a lot of smooth motoring for cheap.

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

All the hysteria about slipped liners etc. is exaggerated, anything goes wrong it's blamed on a slipped liner because "they all do that", even if it's a £5 fix like a blocked rad or stuck thermostat. Same with Freelander head gaskets.

Exactly this. Way overblown (even on this forum).

• 2 weeks later...

How is it? I love it! My wife loves it which is a blessing and a curse as she keeps pinching it. But so far it seems a good weekend car for us, good for taking the dog out, bikes. Horse box once she buys one.

need to fix the drivers window as that doesn't work and the rear wiper but I can pull parts off my old one.

Fitted a tow bar at the weekend which involved dropping the rear gas tanks to get the bolts in through the chassis legs. but it wasn't too bad a job, there way enough slack to drop the tank onto the ground. Chassis seems quite solid which is good but I will be giving it a good rub down and coating this summer. 

V8 and auto is a great combo and can't seem to feel a difference on gas in terms of power. Darth dicky drove it and it wasn't as fast as he thought it would be so maybe the cams are a bit worn but it does what I want and I'm not too fussed about speed as I have a car for that.

so this far I am happy with it but have only done about 300miles in it. Want to check a few more things over like gearbox oil condition, I have already changed the diff oil, and the engine oil is like new. 

probably won't be off roading this one like the last one, maybe a few lanes but I'm conscious of the gas tanks underneath and want to keep its road manners towing, so the lift kit and off road bits have been sold off my old one.So my series might get used for more off road duties, but that needs diffs putting in 1st

It's a never ending cycle with land rovers 

IMG_0101.JPG

8 hours ago, Jon W said:

How is it? I love it! My wife loves it which is a blessing and a curse as she keeps pinching it. But so far it seems a good weekend car for us, good for taking the dog out, bikes. Horse box once she buys one.

need to fix the drivers window as that doesn't work and the rear wiper but I can pull parts off my old one.

Fitted a tow bar at the weekend which involved dropping the rear gas tanks to get the bolts in through the chassis legs. but it wasn't too bad a job, there way enough slack to drop the tank onto the ground. Chassis seems quite solid which is good but I will be giving it a good rub down and coating this summer

V8 and auto is a great combo and can't seem to feel a difference on gas in terms of power. Darth dicky drove it and it wasn't as fast as he thought it would be so maybe the cams are a bit worn but it does what I want and I'm not too fussed about speed as I have a car for that.

so this far I am happy with it but have only done about 300miles in it. Want to check a few more things over like gearbox oil condition, I have already changed the diff oil, and the engine oil is like new. 

probably won't be off roading this one like the last one, maybe a few lanes but I'm conscious of the gas tanks underneath and want to keep its road manners towing, so the lift kit and off road bits have been sold off my old one.So my series might get used for more off road duties, but that needs diffs putting in 1st

It's a never ending cycle with land rovers 

They rust out from the inside, so get that seen to with Waxoyl or whatever is best and it will buy you quite a bit of time. 

Glad to hear you're happy with it! 

Yer I know the chassis problems from my last one and this was about the 7th one I viewed, so it will be getting the full treatment when I get chance to clean it all up. I like and have used the built hamber product before. But may try some of the buzz weld external coating 

Looks like a tidy motor, and I don't doubt it's a lovely drive.

When you're busy changing oils, change the coolant too. Coolant maintenance is just as important as oil changes, mostly for corrosion prevention, which in turn will enable better cooling.