Lokuts - Fitting

Trying to fit those lokut nuts into a new galvanised bulkhead. It seems the added material from the galv makes the fit extremely tight. I've tried filing to remove some but they're still ridiculously tight. I remember their removal was particularly barbaric, is there any other fitting method than welting on them with a hammer? The galv doesn't like that and nor does the metal. They will not press in with human levels of force. Any tips appreciated before I just file away the galv, which seems pointless to me.

Are the new inserts Genuine (from an LR Main Dealer)?

I had a load of patterned ones and they didn't fit in an un-galvanized bulkhead without a good hammering!  Bought some from my local dealer and they fitted much better.  Still needed to tap them in to place - but it didn't destroy the insert in the process.  The patterned ones were white (genuine were red-ish) and made from more brittle plastic.

Si

Hi Si, I'm re-using some from the old bulkhead which are bright orange but definitely genuine and some new genuine red ones, neither of which want to work.

I could live with the paint flaking but the galv has chipped in places too. I suppose I'll just have to keep trying.

I applied Westerns method, it worked but it was truly horrific to watch. It seems unavoidable for the paint and galv not to crack slightly, especially on the thinner metal of the gearbox tunnel.

I'm going to apply a high zinc content primer and repaint but it won't have the same protection, and these things are all in the areas that seem to attract rust first.

Thanks for the help all, at least it gave me the confidence to just keep doing it.

I'm going to need to replace my lokuts and my parts manual shows Part No. RTC3744.  A search on Paddock's returns no such part number, but a search for lokuts gives a number of results, a couple of which look as if they could be the correct one.  Could somebody tell me if RTC3744 has been superseded, please, or tell me which of the Paddock's options is correct.  Many thanks.

Mike