Disco 3 rattling from rear

mcc1979ian

Ok so yesterday I had my 08 Disco 3 on the road for its first time. We towed our caravan up to ST Andrews but I noticed about an hour or so into the journey when I pulled away from a junction or roundabout I got a slight rattling noise from the near side rear but once up to speeed it seemed to disappear, I ruled out the tow bar as I ditched the useless detachable contraption in favour of a fixed item and once I'd unhitched the caravan the rattling was still there. I've checked all wheel nuts and jacked it up to check for bearings but as I'm on holiday til Tuesday I'm limited for tools and I don't really trust the supplied jack. Anyone any ideas? I'm thinking at best maybe a rattley stone gaurd on the rear.

Ahh that soon changed, started again on the way home, also getting a juddering under acceleration and under load so have a bottle of DR Tranny coming to try, if that doesn't solve things I'm thinking new torque converter ?

If you've never had a gearbox oil change done, I'd do that before the additive.

My D3 started with the TC shimmy about 40k ago. Gearbox oil change and a tube of Dr T sorted it for 25k or so. Another oil change and another tube, and it hasn't recurred yet. The old oil was black and very thin, both times.

Oil change done through the cooler pipework with a garden sprayer bottle - really easy. Genuine gearbox oil is really spendy, but there are cheaper aftermarket versions.

edit : Forgot to say, if it's a TC problem, you'll usually see the rev counter fluctuating a few 100 rpm when cruising around 70mph.

Edited by TSD

Cheers guys, she was dropped at Strathearn yesterday for a new TC. Still a month left on the extended warranty so I'd rather it was done now rather than later. She's been flushed twice already so TC's the best option now.

• 3 weeks later...