SII Disk brake conversion

De Ranged

A while back I asked for information on series hubs for a disk conversion I'm doing on a mate now 100" SII

Here ya go, Mazda Series 7-8 Rx7 calipers (4 pot alloy) on a machined BMW X5 disk

Not exactly a simple conversion I've got over 12hrs machining per side lol sorry about the blurry pic's camera is a bit cracked

20170402_152614.jpg20170402_152554.jpg20170402_152627.jpg 

20170402_154641.jpg20170402_154628.jpg

I'm sorry, was in a bit of a rush to get back to the misses to give her, her time and forgot to snap some shots of the disk mount.... if anybody is interested next time I'm in the shed I can get the dimensions for this 

Cheers Reece 

Those calipers look massive, especially when sat on the bench, nice work on the fab front too. It does confirm to me that there is still no easy way to get discs on a series, unless you swap out the axles entirely for something like Toyota, which of course, may not be easy anyways :)

Props to you for persevering, hope they work for you when up and running :) 

Thanks for the comments

The axle swop isn't as easy lol as it has its own compromises most of the local boys just drop hilux axles under them, my mate wanted to run a sals rear so I couldn't match the diffs this was the only answer lol other than a VERY expensive (once its landed in New Zealand!) Zeus kit witch wont match this for performance should he decide to run to larger wheels in the future 

For the books the calipers are a 4 pot with I think around 5mm less size than the landy 110 pots but due to the size of the disk (dia) I got under there I think they will out perform the standard 110 setup

To be honest Arjan if I was still running the shop, given the amount of work involved in these the charge out would be about the same as the Zeus kits 

• 2 months later...
On 04/04/2017 at 11:53 AM, Bowie69 said:

It does confirm to me that there is still no easy way to get discs on a series, unless you swap out the axles entirely for something like Toyota, which of course, may not be easy anyways :)

It must be much easier than this, but it's not simple, certainly.  The rear axle on a 109 is simple enough, but the spring position on the 88 interferes with the diff housing on a Salisbury and probably needs a complicated shape scalloping from the inboard side of the rhs mount to clear the diff housing on a Rover rear axle, just like the front axle on both wheel bases.  Then there is the steering rod clearance over the leaf springs, the custom length drag link and the prop shaft front UJ angle and proximity to the engine mount...  Still, I'd take all of that again compared to the effort involved in this!  Lovely work, DR.

Zeus seems to be alive and kicking : http://www.zeus.uk.com/index.php

"  It does confirm to me that there is still no easy way to get discs on a series " Well, the Zeus kit is a direct swop bolt operation and works very well.. But yes, it does cost money.. In the end, it is just a personal choice

Absolutely, it does work, and must be good, but it is eye wateringly expensive, compared even to a professionally completed axle swap, which can bring all the other benefits to the table.

For everyone and every situation there is an ideal solution :)

Gremlin did a very thrifty conversion on his 109 using standard LR parts, which would allow people to use bits from breakers (subject to close inspection, I would hope).  I think the only custom parts he used were the front caliper brackets that he made up, similar in appearance to Deranged's but slimmer, I think.