indicator flasher unit

I had to replace my 110's 4 pin Lucas SFB164 flasher unit on friday, it gave up working.

lost indicators on the way home from work, 

managed to obtain another Lucas 4 pin unit but lucas part SFB191 [supposedly equal to the SFB164 & LR part PRC8876] but it's not.

when plugged in & ignition on to start engine the SFB191 constantly flashes the green trailer icon on my warning light panel,

the external lights are not affected in any way,  

when left or right indicator is selected they all function as normal & expected regadless if trailer is actually plugged in or not,

this constant flashing of trailer dash light never happened with the SFB164 unit,

no wiring changes have taken place,

the trailer dash light only stops flashing when ignition is switched off.

any idea why it's happening ? cos I haven't got a clue 

maybe possible, it's got a lucas number SFB191 & another label from Allmakes with PRC8876G, can't find it on the Lucas website though, it's definitely not a direct replacement, my indicators are all 21 watt normal bulbs. 

21 minutes ago, western said:

maybe possible, it's got a lucas number SFB191 & another label from Allmakes with PRC8876G, can't find it on the Lucas website though, it's definitely not a direct replacement, my indicators are all 21 watt normal bulbs. 

PRC8876G is for LED indicators just looked it up on eBay 

I've been looking on ebay too, but not seen any mention of led indicators for that part number or the lucas number.  I used to have a Hella unit in a translucent blue case, but can't remember the hella part number either. 

SFB191 should also fit RR classic & they never had led lights.

wondering if the example I have is faulty. 

Yep, that's what I've got fitted now, looks to be the updated unit to replace the PRC8876/SFB164, 

there is a YWT10002L unit which I might get or a alternative from my local auto electrics supplier who deals with Hella/Durite/Lucas.

vistied my local auto electrics supplier today after work, checked in thier Lucas catologue, the SFB164 is still listed with good detail on pin connections & full list of what vehicles it fits. whereas the SFB191 although listed had next to no fitment or connection info, the guy said he had never seen the a SFB191 or sold one, he had the equivalent of SFB164 in stock [see photo below] I trail fitted it, all works as normal, no more flashing trailer light with ign/engine on, so bought it, now fitted & I'm happy again.

WP_20170410_17_06_46_Pro.jpg

• 2 years later...

I realise this is a very old thread.. but had this exact problem this eve - total lack of info.., anyway - I plugged in following the same layout of the spades -  

numbers in brackets are the SFB191 pins:

31 to (1) / 49a to (5) / 49 to (2) 

*This was on an 1983 ex army Series 3 109.. turned out my problem was a dirty switch after all! - the SFB191 worked fine., as did my old SFB164 after cleaning the switch.

Pin out for SFB164 being:

Lucar/Spade Terminals (31 earth/ground, 49a direction indicator supply, 49 ignition controlled supply, C2 trailer warning lamp)

Bri.

A48B446D-5018-409C-BA63-3B5297214BCA.jpeg