EDIS 8 - Tacho

garrycol

How do I get a basic old style tacho to work with EDIS 8?

Wire 2 (IIDM/Tach) on the EDIS 8 (does not work) and I have seen some wiring diagrams to build an interface module for EDIS 4 using diodes but I am not sure I follow it - they say to add extra diodes for EDIS 8 - has anyone a complete diagram of the EDIS 8 system with this module added.

Googling the issue I did find one case of the PIP (wire 1) working but there is only one reference so am a bit wary of trying in case it causes an issue in the EDIS 8 module.

I would appreciate any advice on getting the tach to work on EDIS 8.

Thanks

Garry

Personally, I would get an rev counter that runs from the alternator, no issues at all there.

Unless you have the MS relay block, the wiring for the 4-diode + 1 zener thing can get pretty untidy.

Bonus is if the rev counter stops working, you know your alternator isn't charging, no matter what the charge lights says :)

You could buy a tacho adapter like https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/tach-adapter/

This runs off the coil triggers of EDIS and basically merges the 4 separate coil firings in 1 coil fire signal that the original tacho is expecting.

(You could build this yourself as it has a detailed schematic in the instructions)

(Note I have not used this "wasted spark" tacho adaptor a my digidash happily runs of the pip signal)

Oh, that does make it easier :)

Still, a rev counter that works with alternator is probably a no-cost solution if you swap yours out for one that will work that way -perhaps yours already does with a dipswitch setting? I know I got an OE LR gauge working fine with an alternator feed... :)

Thanks for the Autosparkslab information - ouch just did the checkout thing - they want 5 times to cost of the item for shipping - not really viable.  I will keep on looking.

My alternator does not support a tacho so that is not an option for me.

Thanks

garry

Edited by garrycol

3 hours ago, garrycol said:

Thanks for the Autosparkslab information - ouch just did the checkout thing - they want 5 times to cost of the item for shipping - not really viable.  I will keep on looking.

All that item is is the diodes and resistors nicely packaged. I made my own with a bit of veroboard and through hole components. I based on the schematic on their installation page https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/TachAdapter

46 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

All that item is is the diodes and resistors nicely packaged. I made my own with a bit of veroboard and through hole components. I based on the schematic on their installation page https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/TachAdapter

Thanks but doesn't mean much to me - there is some sort of schematic there that is not readable

Was hoping for some sort of diagram of something that connects to EDIS 8.

33 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Seems fairly readable to me.

schematic.PNG.e1ae9aa094ea31780b7ee9ee6a62e0d7.PNG

Thanks for that - that is 1000% more readable than what was on that website - is not readable here at all.

So I assume Coil 1 is A on the Edis Module - pin 8, Coil 2 is B on the Edis Module - pin 9 and so forth for coil 3 and coil 4.

Thanks - makes things clearer.

Garry

I managed to buy some diodes and resistors yesterday and build the circuit.  Not the prettiest as the holes on the circuit board were too far apart to bridge just with solder so had the be wired.  I tried it this afternoon and the tacho sprang into life so all works well.

Thanks for the contributions - great stuff.

Garry

Hi Charlie - cheap from Jaycar.  The circuit board was a bit of an issue as I would have had to buy a kit with the etching and stuff so just got some board with holes in it but the holes were a bit too far to bridge with solder so bridged with the cut off wire ends off the diodes and resistors - not pretty but tested all up with the multimeter first and worked first go when plugged in.

Cheers

Garry