D1 internal roll cage instalation help needed

andy2986

Hi All,

Does anyone have any pictures of a 300 Disco with an internal roll cage fitted ?

Ive tried google but it's not all that helpfull.

Or does anyone have any experience they could share in fitting one ?

Ive managed to get hold of a Safety Devices internal Cage for my disco. 

Tried a quick "dry fit" today. Bugger me it's a pain to fit. The car before me had it in-front of the dash air vents but I thought they fitted through the side vents in the dash (I would have to take off the mounting plates to do this) 

I know these are (were) supplied as a bolt in no weilding cage but I think its all a little too tight so may well cut the feet off and start again.

I will give Safety Devices a ring on Monday to see if they can offer any advice but thought I would ask here first.

Andy

• 1 month later...
On 22/04/2017 at 6:39 PM, andy2986 said:

I know these are (were) supplied as a bolt in no weilding cage but I think its all a little too tight so may well cut the feet off and start again.

Not exactly bolt in, no. They were supplied with plates similar to the ones on the bottom of the cage, these had nuts welded to them and were welded to the floor after cutting suitable holes. That said, that was for the FIA version of the cage, for the none competition version you can probably just bolt through the floor/sill.

From memory you install them from the front backwards and you may need to cut part of the dash away depending on the model. They are a pain to get into position and until you get the front legs bolted to the floor you'll feel like you need 6 hands. You also need to get the windscreen top bar in before putting the main hoop in, again this is from memory as it's nearly 20 years since I installed mine !

thanks for the reply Dave,

I was going to make some second plates for underneath and weld them in.....

Im away from the disco for a while  (probably a good thing as I was going to set fire to it out of frustration !!)

Ive had a look at the camel rebuild on this site and also found quite a helpful write up (in polish!) on the www.

I think the next thing will be to get in touch with safety devices as there is supposed to be a unique number stamped on one of the front legs. they might be able to help me out as to wether its a go through the vents in the dash model or a sit behind the vents and block the glove box model !!

Thanks all for your replies so far

Andy

I have an internal cage in my 3 dr Discovery that is a bolt together unit. It is slightly different to the one above in as much as the hoop behind the front seat is all one piece (hoop, diagonal cross beam and rear stays all one piece) and yes it was a colossal PITA to get that bit in. 

IIRC I removed the all the seats (it won't fit with the rears in there anyway.....or rather nobody could sit in those seats so I took the view I was adding lightness (!) )   The main hoop parts then had to be passed in thru the passenger door, leaned back so that the rear stay was upright by the b-pillar and the main hoop was diagonal across the door opening. I think I had to sort of thread it around the b-pillar too. Once that was in then next hardest part was drilling the floor holes. 

It must have been 10 years ago now so sorry for vague detail. I will get pictures of the interior if that helps, but I don't think I have any of the fitting process. 

An aside; the truck has been laid up for six years now awaiting time/workshop space after moving house and starting a family, but I fully intend to reinforce the floor properly when I do the inevitable welding, rather than the spreader plates that I made up. Bonus is that the cage does bolt down in eight places. Six of which are near seat belt or body mounts. 

Hope that helps in some way. 

Edited by andyb

Hi Yes, all info helps.

My Disco is also having a bit of light renovation. (its been off the road 4 years now and Think it will be at least another year as work keeps getting in the way !)

This is my plan at the moment re the roll cage.

The previous owner has wielded on some extra "bits" so will remove them then have it blasted to get all the old paint off it.

Im thinking of cutting the feet off of it (they look pretty manky anyway and replace them with some thicker new plate with matching pieces underneath the floor.

(I might have some issues there as I fitted box section sills when I started the rebuild.. we will see.)

I might lower the whole cage by 1.5cm's as that would make the fit better.....

Like Andyb im going to dispense with the rear seats and continue my storage system to the back of the front seats...

I haven't spoken to Safety Devices as yet. Im out on tour at the moment and won't be back till August so thought it better to call them when im in front of the cage so I could answer any questions they might have.

The early camel trophy Disco had the front cage outside the dash, later ones had it going through the dash.

They are 95% bolt in, apart from the horizontal bars where they meet the back end they are located on stubs that are welded to the rear door frames (not sure I have a photo) but you can see the bar just disappears into the rear trim.

The role hoops all terminate onto the body and are bolted in place with a thick doubler on the opposite side of the location they land in. The camel cages you can only install them from the rear going forward, even then the use of a ratchet strap comes in handy to pull everything in line, with the camels you've then got the roof rack to get bolted on too...

20160616_222615.jpg

20160617_222136.jpg

20160618_203219.jpg