200tdi engine noise from crankshaft pulley area

Hi there,

I've bought a 200tdi which currently sits in my donor discovery. It hadn't ran for four years. I got it running today and at low rpm it sounded perfect. However I gave it a little throttle and a noise from the front of the engine came about. It now makes a noise at idle and up through the rev range. I took off all belts to eliminate alternator PAS etc. The noise still remains and sounds like it is from the crankshaft pulley area. It isn't a terribly bad noise but is a mechanical rubbing sound. I have checked that the crankshaft pulley seems tight and the mud washer/deflector seems tight and in place. The rubber in the vibration damper is perished and cracked in a few places but it isn't coming away from the damper. Once i have removed this engine i will change the cambelt so i will need to remove the crankshaft pulley anyway, just wondered if anyone had any ideas whilst I can still get it running in the disco.

Thanks in advance!

I imagine that you going to swap the timing belt any way before you fit it in your 90/110 (probably easier to do it while the engine is in the Disco anyway)? Take the crank pulley and damper off to see if any evidence of contact with anything is visable. If not, I guess it could be the timing belt tensioner - but that is all it is, a guess!

HTH