MoD JATE Rings

Sunray-I40

Don't think there is..

They were used as "lashing down" points.

AFAIK they were not intended to be used for lifting the vehicle.

Having said that - I have not yet managed to tear one off and we most certainly tried...

An adult probably know better...

1 hour ago, western said:

JATE rings original made for military 90/110 for use underslinging the vehicles from helicopters, so any working load would take in the vehicles max loaded weight & a big safety factor 

Personally, I think this is an old wive's tale.  They are nowhere near the strength needed for any engineer to rate them for suspending the weight of a Defender.  Lashing down points is the best they would be design for.

Given that JATE is the acronym for Joint Air Transport Establishment. I would imagine that this is what they were designed for

If the bolts are 12.9 type and thus possess a tensile strength of 12,000mPa and if the shear is approx 0.63 of tensile then the shear strength of each retaining bolt is 7,440 mPa or 7.44KN per mm2

Edited by neil110
  • Like 1

Safety factors for lifting gear are ~5x to ~7x I believe.

And I've actually had a long chat with someone who was involved in the airportable LR development with the MOD, inventing the big cardboard crates they use as impact protection etc. etc. so yes they really do do it.

LR pressed steel lashing eyes are a different thing, a single ring bolted to the chassis for road transport.

19 hours ago, Red90 said:

Personally, I think this is an old wive's tale.  They are nowhere near the strength needed for any engineer to rate them for suspending the weight of a Defender.  Lashing down points is the best they would be design for.

JATE = Joint Air Transport Establishment.  They are intended for under-slinging the vehicle with rotary wing aircraft and for lashing on decks inside hercules (in my day) and I think they are used for lashing on HM ships, but matelots might have different ideas

9 hours ago, neil110 said:

Given that JATE is the acronym for Joint Air Transport Establishment. I would imagine that this is what they were designed for

If the bolts are 12.9 type and thus possess a tensile strength of 12,000mPa and if the shear is approx 0.63 of tensile then the shear strength of each retaining bolt is 7,440 mPa or 7.44KN per mm2

1200 MPa

0.744 kN/mm2.....  Ends up with around a 2.4 tonne rating each assuming the chassis connection is as strong.  It would not make it out of my office used in that fashion.