1 Large Shoe Horn Please

Shackleton

Had I a welder and some decent experience under my belt I'd be all over the best axles there were out there but I dont. Every piece of engineering that will have to be done will be done by someone experienced for a fee. To tell the truth - and not to short change all the other advice you've given me - the Rakeway steer is going to prove invaluable.

Britain has been an industrial nation for centuries so you've got talented guys on every corner. Here we have some decent fellas but it's finding them and then weeding out all the ****heads to find the one who isn't gonna try and F you in the A just cause you want something different. Fine I'm sure I'll pay Rakeway handsomely in the end but at least I'll know they charged me for work they did rather then the 30 years it took them to build up their experience or whatever.

So my resistance with the axles is two fold. Firstly I'd have to bring the axles to someone and say 'make them fit' instead of just going to the likes of Ashcroft and asking for a HD this and a 2522 that and fitting them myself, and probably while Rakeway are working on the engine. Secondly - and I'm guessing here cause I dunno how mush axles will be - buying complete axles and having them fitted has to weigh in heaver money wise then buying the HD parts and using my own free labour?

Phew, this is hard work and I haven't so much as cinched a bolt yet :lol:

Secondly - and I'm guessing here cause I dunno how mush axles will be - buying complete axles and having them fitted has to weigh in heaver money wise then buying the HD parts and using my own free labour?

In a word - No

A pair of Jap/Merc axles will come in at around £300 secondhand, plus maybe £100 in parts, seals etc, then pay someone to fit them - job done. If you are seriously considering asking DirtyDiesel to do some work on the car (as you said earlier) then he can do the axles at the same time, he does not charge much and does an excellent job, food for thought anyway

If you are considering later LR axles then some welding will have to take place anyway as one of your dampers faces backwards, whereas on later axles they both face forward. Also have a quick look at the Ashcroft website if you still think aftermarket Heavy duty parts for LR axles are gonna be cheap. The last time I specced up ashcroft axles I got up to around £3000, although obviously you dont need diff locks

Lewis :)

Rear one requires no effort, front will need the diff turning over. But I'm no expert here, I'm only repeating what other far more knowledgeable and experienced people have told me. It might be worth a PM to IStruggle2Gate11 as he was selling a pair of G axles a while ago

But for now heres some photo's of a disco on G axles

SD530448.jpg

SD530451.jpg

SD530446.jpg

SD530444.jpg

SD530445.jpg

• 14 years later...

I know it's a case of .... 'Holy thread revival Batman!' but I missed this at the time and it sounded like a fun project, .... I guess that any work on the RRC has been shelved in favour of the Vogue rebuild and the Lotus project. But I do wonder if @Shackletonstill fancies doing something like it??

• 5 weeks later...

I admire your determination & the balls to undertake this project, but I have to ask WHY ?

Why would you ruin a perfectly good Classic by retrofitting such a complex piece of technology (or junk depending on your point of view) when you could be in the market for the factory built model with that engine designed into it ?

Sorry to post the only down-beat reply, this is only my second post & I'll try to be less cynical in the future 😇