Vibration When Driving Over 60

Arrolman

Hi all,

Im getting a noticable vibration from underneath when driving over 60mph, i've recently had all the bushes replaced and the rubber doughnut on the rear prop,could this be showing up problems with the UJ's?

I can't think of anything else that could be at fault as the vibrations aren't being felt through the steering wheel.

Cheers,

Iain

Iain,

I'd suggest parking it on a level surface, chocking the wheels and putting it in neutral with the engine off and handbrake on.

Crawl underneath and try to rotate both the props (The applied handbrake gives you something to try to turn against). If you feel any movement, try and narrow it down to a UJ.

You also need to grip either side of the slide and see if there is any play in that.

Any play in the UJ's is a cause to reject and replace.

..... And don't forget the obvious - check your tyres, you may have lost one of the lead weights used to balance them, or something.

I recently bought a 300tdi Disco van with no 2 tyres the same - the rear axle had 1 mud tyre and 1 road tyre. Whenever it hit 60mph, there was a distinct vibration. I could feel the vibration more through the seat, rather than the steering wheel and soon twigged to the tyre problem.

A new set of MT's all round and the vibration's gone, surprise, surprise.....

Dunk

Hi,

Checked props today,rear one there is no movement at all but the fron one moved a good bit when I turned it by hand. Is this the prop or the UJ's??

Iain

Iain,

appologies if I've got this wrong but it sounds like you are checking for propshaft movement. With the handbrake on and centre difflock disengaged the rear prop will be hald securely by the handbrake while the front will have lots of slack in the centre diff letting it rotate. Sounds like this is what you are seeing.

What you need to look for is ANY movement in the u/js or sliding joints. Graps the flanges either side of each uj or joint and shake/twist/whatever to see if you can feel any movement. Sometimes you may hear rather then feel the movement and also inspect the ujs for signs of wear.